Port Sanilac Wreck dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtxl1200

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally! Yesterday June 1st I got the wreck season underway. I chartered a two tank trip through my Dive shop. We chartered through rec n tec For those of you in the Know. Gary Runs a top nop charter with the best boat out of that region. For those of you not in the know.. you need to get in the know:D I have dove with Gary several times and have always enjoyed it. Even though this time we were full right up with 12 divers. it was a tad bit cramped but it was still ok.

First dive was the Northstar. All I know is it is a 300 ft. wreck that sits in 91 feet of water. How it came to lie on the bottom or what year I dont know. I guess you could look it up if your in the need to know. The down line to this wreck is tied to the Pistons of the engine of this ship. Man let me tell you they are freaking huge.
The rest of the wreck is pretty broken up so we didnt venture to far along. We mostley hung out in the stern of the ship. Looked at the huge boilers and engine and the rudder and one blade of the prop that is all that is visible. The viz was about 15 to 20 ft So it was less than desirable but hey it is the great lakes after all. My dive buddy was his first Great lake dive and first dry suit dive so he was a bit nervous he managed to suck down a 100cu tank in about 20 minutes. If you get a chance to dive this wreck do so but dont be upset if you cant get to it. it is pretty broken up.
computer readings
Max depth 91ffw
temp 44deg
22 minutes

The next dive was the Mary Alice B. This is a 65 ft tug boat that sank some time in the 1960's, under suspicious terms Like maybe for insurance. This wreck is completly intact. You can go into the pilot house, and grab the wheel and steer. You can sit on the toilet and well you know. You can enter in to the door that goes down into the lower deck even though I didnt go all the way down I did go waste deep and shined my light in and could see pretty much nothing. You can look in though one hatch and see the motor this boat was a tug so it is all motor I bet the motor was 15 ft long it was huge. This boat is small so it doesnt take time to see it all a couple of laps around and well it is time to call it a dive. My buddy and I were the first ones in the water so we enjoyed about 20 or so feet of viz then the second time around the rest of the group had made it down and they were churning and stirring up the entire site. there was quit a few rookies on this trip. so we called it a good dive and headed up the accent line. After a good day of diving. I'm at the granny line taking my fins off to get back onboard the boat. In the process I drop one of my fins. So now a turtle fin with spings strap is sitting at 86 feet of water, just south of the wreck. The boat cpt. wouldnt let me go and get it. So I'm a little bummed about that. He did take my number and said the next time he was out there he would send somebody to look for it. Yeah but I got some more diving planned in the next couple of weeks.
computer readings.
85 ffw Max depth
44 deg
22 min.

A couple of dives to start the season off. Now I'm ready to get some more in. My next trip is out of Grindstone city. I will have to get my old fins that I hate out or just swim in circles with my one turtle.:D

Nice dive stories Ted.

Wish I coulda been there.

Grindstone City - Feeling the need for some exercise?

Nice dive stories Ted.

Wish I coulda been there.

Grindstone City - Feeling the need for some exercise?

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: I Still remember that day what a laugh... This time fortunatly we will be going out by boat. heading for the Philadelphia and one to TBA. So this one shouldnt be as bad as the last time I was up their.

Who you diving with out of Grindstone City? I heard that harbor was in bad need of dredging.

Diving the Philadelphia and the Troy Saturday 8/1/08. First time on either for me. Will try to post something on the trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom