portable depth finder to fit scupper hole ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering a depth finder for my kayak. A few years back I remember seeing
a depth finder that was a single unit that you attached to the stern and not sure if
they still make this. I would love to find something where I could use the 1.25 inch
scupper hole for the sensor and possibly remote screen mounted elsewhere. I will
be using this just to find approximate depths and also locate the inside edge of
the east coast reefs in southeast fllorida. Thanks in advance for any comments
or suggestions.

A lot of the transducers for depth finders consist of a hockey puck like transducer with a shaft on it. The shaft could easily go up the scupper hole and a large stainless fender washer put on before the nut would secure it.

Attachments

• transducer.jpeg
    transducer.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 188
If you have a rudder you can mount it there. Otherwise you would have to remove the transducer before beaching your kayak. Most just either glue the transducer inside or put in a puddle of water.

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to look at some of the transducers and see
if any of them would actually drop down through the scupper hole. If so I could
put some type of shoulder on it so it just rests in the scupper hole and could be
pulled out before beaching kayak. I just found a wireless type portable fish locater
that has a handheld unit that would stay in kayak and may be possible to tie a short
line to the sensor and drag behind boat ? The suction cup idea is possible as well,
just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom