Portable Photo Storage Device...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just ordered a Wolverine MVP 9060. It seemed like a pretty good deal. I only found 3 reviews on it but they were all positive. The MVP's all play music, photos and video on a 2.5" screen. Others are just storage. Here is a link to their web site.
www.wolverinedata.com/

I originally looked at this device. For me it was inappropriate because the download speeds were glacial, battery life for how much you can download is poor and I can preview everything on the same size screen on the back of my camera.

I also am concerned about using a device for too many things and then having it get corrupted. Again I'm approaching my decision making as a pro photographer, so losing any shots or failure of a device is unacceptable. My clients don't want excuses...

For recreational/amateur work, buy a video iPod with a camera adapter (only another $30) and you can download directly from your Sony. No more expensive than some of the dedicated storage units and it's not a one-trick pony.

OE2X:
I originally looked at this device. For me it was inappropriate because the download speeds were glacial, battery life for how much you can download is poor and I can preview everything on the same size screen on the back of my camera.

OE2X,

They do have other devices that just store data. I was looking for something I could use for other things besides photo storage since I am definitely not a pro photographer. :wink:

The MVP's use notebook hard drives so I would think they would be somewhat reliable. Not sure about transfer times though as it is not that important to me.

seems like your options have been outlined, so make a decision and move forward.

I use my Creative MuVo mp3 player as a "mass storage device" all the time. Its really nothing more than a large flash card that also happens to play music. And it connects via simple USB... Hard to get any simpler than that.

OE2X:
I'm not sure that this will be exactly what you are looking for but what I use professionally works really well.

I can shoot in the course of a week around 100 gigs of photos. I need a card reader that can read my memory cards very quickly. I use 2 gig cards and the reader that I use will download them in 2 minutes.

I use a NextoCF with a 100 gig drive. It is about 4"x7"x1/2" and fits nicely into a small pelican case. It downloads into your laptop via firewire or USB.
http://www.savitmicro.co.kr/eng/product/storage/storage_nextocf.htm

Here is a couple of reviews of the product in question
http://printerboyweb.net/reviews/NEXTOCF/index.php

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/special-nextocf.html

dleffert:
For recreational/amateur work, buy a video iPod with a camera adapter (only another $30) and you can download directly from your Sony. No more expensive than some of the dedicated storage units and it's not a one-trick pony.
Since we are leaving in a couple of days and I still don't know if 3gb of sticks will be enough for the amount of potential video, I am going with the video ipod with adapter. Thanks to all of you for your comments and ideas! Be sure to see my pics and trip report when I get back! Hopefully I will be able to edit and post a video too!

Can't wait to see the results!

WEll If I was going on a liveaboard to take pictures, I sure would want to know if my pictures suck before I got home and still had a chance to do something about it. You can buy a Laptop for $300 bucks or less now so why is there even a discussion?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom