Portage--Aug. 22-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are home and resting up before a long week of work. I really enjoyed meeting and spending time with the few Ford folks who came down. Thank you guys you made it very enjoyable for my whole crew.

Stash, we rolled in around 4 pm on Friday and setup on the beach. We were hoping to see you but maybe next time.

I would like to give some more kudos to the fine folks at Portage. They provide such an enjoyable and relaxing place to camp for a weekend of diving and family time. My little one had a blast playing in the water and although there were a lot of college kids having fun on the beach, no one was rude and the foul language was kept to a minimum. Then again this was a non-concert weekend.

Again thanks to everyone who stopped by the bus.

I believe I was there when you did that. I just thought all the equipment you were walking around with was too heavy for you. You looked like you were having trouble walking around with it all. I personally like Portage but to each his own.

I know I was there when you fell. And you were going in at the beach area. You were struggling with your doubles too. I have a set of e8 130's which weigh in at about 115 lbs so I know what you were struggling with. There are many other places to go in at that you can just drop off. Why didn't you just put them on at the waters edge. Sure hope your felling better and you get back in the water soon.

I believe I was there when you did that. I just thought all the equipment you were walking around with was too heavy for you. You looked like you were having trouble walking around with it all. I personally like Portage but to each his own.

Twin 130's aren't something to walk around in but once in a while...

I had all my stuff on then gave a hand to a the two people I was going to dive with because of some equipment issues we found just before getting in. Otherwise I would have gone from the back of the SUV directly to the water. I'm fairly sturdy guy so having them on and walking around a little bit wasn't too bad, but I was getting really hot with the drysuit on AND the extra load.

If you know of a place at Portage to just drop off, please tell me where it is. The water was high by a couple of feet that day because of all the recent rain so I couldn't see any good entry places. I chose what looked at the time to be a good place, however, as it turned out, a poor one.

And therein lies the problem. I shouldn't have to LOOK for the best entry point, there should be stairs going into and out of the water like Gilboa and even White Star.

I too like the quarry, but the fact remains they do NOT have any good entry/exit points without crawling over rocks.

You should have stopped by to say hello. Then again, you had no idea who we were. :) I think all of use need a pendant with the SB logo to display so people can better know who's affiliated with SB.

If you know of a place at Portage to just drop off, please tell me where it is. The water was high by a couple of feet that day because of all the recent rain so I couldn't see any good entry places. I chose what looked at the time to be a good place, however, as it turned out, a poor one.

The Portage website touts new piers. "A concrete pier was constructed in the southwest corner of the quarry to aid entry into the water. Each 5-foot block weighs one ton. Another concrete pier was built on the back wall next to the Beech craft airplane, also in the southwest corner of the quarry."

However, if you look on the new version of the quarry map they are listed as ramps. Anyone check 'em out and can comment?

There is also set of stairs on the far side of the quarry.

I think all of use need a pendant with the SB logo to display so people can better know who's affiliated with SB.

There is always the GLWC merchandise.

No matter what, it's good to hear that your ankle is healing.
Paula

The Portage website touts new piers. "A concrete pier was constructed in the southwest corner of the quarry to aid entry into the water. Each 5-foot block weighs one ton. Another concrete pier was built on the back wall next to the Beech craft airplane, also in the southwest corner of the quarry."

However, if you look on the new version of the quarry map they are listed as ramps. Anyone check 'em out and can comment?

There is also set of stairs on the far side of the quarry.

There is always the GLWC merchandise.

No matter what, it's good to hear that your ankle is healing.
Paula

Thanks Paula! Obviously I had no idea. I WILL check those entry points out!

Twin 130's aren't something to walk around in but once in a while...

I had all my stuff on then gave a hand to a the two people I was going to dive with because of some equipment issues we found just before getting in. Otherwise I would have gone from the back of the SUV directly to the water. I'm fairly sturdy guy so having them on and walking around a little bit wasn't too bad, but I was getting really hot with the drysuit on AND the extra load.

And therein lies the problem. I shouldn't have to LOOK for the best entry point, there should be stairs going into and out of the water like Gilboa and even White Star.

I too like the quarry, but the fact remains they do NOT have any good entry/exit points without crawling over rocks.

You should have stopped by to say hello. Then again, you had no idea who we were. :) I think all of use need a pendant with the SB logo to display so people can better know who's affiliated with SB.

OMG you can't be serious.

You want to dive with doubles, but yet you need stairs??? ever heard of shore diving? better yet after you get in the drysuit, get in the water and cool off and you can then see exactly what the entry point is like.

You Claim Portage has no good entry points. that is pure BS. I think that Portage has one of the easiest entry points, in Ohio. It is called the beach. (Well except for being in the drysuit in the 90 degree sun but that goes with the drysuit.)
Really what is so hard about gear up, walk across the beach wade in till it is three feet deep, pull on fins, put on your mask, put your reg in your mouth, swim to the wall, dump your air and go.

The other advantage of the beach is you have some eye candy to look at :wink:

Hope you feel better, but just because you lost your footing in heavy gear is no reason to say the place is bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom