Porteau Wall off limits to divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anyone tried to dive the "new" wall at porteau bay? you know, the one caused by the rockslide last year and crews pushed debris over the edge into the water. should be some critters there by now.

How would you get to it? surface swim?

anyone tried to dive the "new" wall at porteau bay? you know, the one caused by the rockslide last year and crews pushed debris over the edge into the water. should be some critters there by now.

Where is the "new wall" located?

After our denied entry into the campgrounds, we decided to do a quick swim around the Nakaya and then head north/northwest to look for a sunken jeep that's supposed to be somewhere around there. We turned around before finding the jeep but we did get to a large area strewn with big quarry rocks that seemed to be spill overs from road/railway construction. We found some lingcod, a good amount of thin plumoses were anchored to these rocks. Would this be the "new wall"?

BTW, has anybody around here seen that jeep that's supposed to be somewhere north/northwest of the Nakaya? If so, at what depth is it located?

I've only dived the wall when a buddy was camping there anyways. But that was some time ago. It's not a bad dive, but man is that little bay silty :D

Where is the "new wall" located?

We turned around before finding the jeep but we did get to a large area strewn with big quarry rocks that seemed to be spill overs from road/railway construction. We found some lingcod, a good amount of thin plumoses were anchored to these rocks. Would this be the "new wall"?)

Sounds like this is the remains of the rockslide from last year. It is up by the Nakaya area but closer to the S2S hwy. I have not of a Jeep in there, but anything is possible. Would be a good area to take a long drive off a short curve in the road:D

Walk around like you own the place - don't ask anybody for permission.

Inform the "Provincial" civil servant that once you are below the high water mark, you are on Federal Land and beyond their jurisdiction......:wink:

Good to know about the wall - didn't know it was there - thanks!

porteau.png
[/QUOTE]

I think the measurements are off. It is actually 245,366,676 steps with gear to this site from the hwy:rofl3: I think if everyone could afford scooters, this would be a great site to travel to, waving at the rock throwing campers as we blast past them to visit the octo dens. would we need a PADI safe boating cert?
I think the gate person is out of their mind. what dive site doesn't have some form of boat traffic involved near by. I have yet to see a boat cruising that bay. divers are not all scattered around the surface like a bunch of seals. just my $.02 worth. GST included.

I've never had a problem with the rangers at Porteau. If the gate to the back sites isn't open we have to walk in from the front sites, but the rangers have always been very accommodating an let us use one of the sites as long as it wasn't reserved. In the summer they let me drive my gear down and drop it off in the walk in cook shelter.

There is a wall at the point indicated in your picture, but it isn't much. I prefer the fall wall across the cove (south) from the bottom red pin. It starts off with shale slides giving lots of holes for animals to hide in and turns into a beautiful wall of anemones like Whytecliff as you continue south.

The rock slide is located just north of the salt shed past the entrance to Porteau. We usually run across the road and scramble down the rock path when we dive that. If anyone want a guide, let me know. Always happy to show people the site.

Some things regarding access could have changed in the last 7 years since we started this thread. I do remember that about a year after this discussion my buddies and got a camping spot, never disclosing that we really intended to only use it as diving base camp. We did our diving and nobody ever gave us any grief. I haven't tried that wall with the sponges south of the 130ft simple wall.

I used to dive that wall years ago ... haven't been there now in at least a decade. It would be a shame if they've put it off limits.

If you have a boat, the wall further down is also interesting. It's where the railroad tracks passes overhead about 20 feet above the high tide mark. They call it "Thunder Wall", because when the train's approaching if you're down below it sounds like thunder. Pretty cool to be there when the train goes by ... you can feel it in your ribcage ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom