POS Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is a wrist mounted Oceanic. Works fine. I'd suggest that wrist mount is easier not harder to use than some other method.

As was mentioned about what exactly are the issues you have with your current compass and what are the issues with wrist mount?

FWIW, my AOW instructor suggested that the wrist mount was the least accurate way to shoot a heading.

NOt to be rude, but I'd suggest your AOW instructor needs more practice. Shooting a heading wrist mounted is no more difficult (or inaccurate) than any other method. It's all relative to your comfort, really.

Mine is a wrist mounted Oceanic. Works fine. I'd suggest that wrist mount is easier not harder to use than some other method.

As was mentioned about what exactly are the issues you have with your current compass and what are the issues with wrist mount?

My current compass has the Aqualung logo in the center, but if I were Aqualung I would disavow any association. The card doesn't want to stay level or there isn't enough angle allowance to keep it from dragging.

Instructor doesn't like the wrist mount (especially for divers new to nav) because he said it's too easy to let your arm get out of alignment with your body and thus get off course. He prefers a top view compass with both elbows locked into the side for stability. I'm sure any skill can be honed with sufficient practice, even a wrist mount compass. If you shoot a heading to a specific identifiable location using a side view and swim to that location, works well, just like orienteering in the Army. It's not navigation I'm unhappy about, it's the crappy compass. Sounds like the Oceanic or Sherwood are both possible solutions. Or, even better, a SK7 for $50.00 :D

I've tried a few compasses over the years, and the one I kept and dive with today is the Suunto SK-5. It's easily adaptable to bungee mount using it's existing housing.

The SK-7 is the bomb! as for an instructor not liking wrist mount because of accuracy.... Have come up to ohio and we can do a minimal vis dive and I can show him it works. I also would replace the stock mount with a DSS mount, works mucho better. When you are learning this stuff,(NAV) an instructor should show you a few ways of doing it, not preach that his way is the only way because the others suck, it just works best for him, your mileage may vary, try it and see what works best for you.

The wrist mount is no more difficult than any other method. I can navigate my way to the exact place I started from with no issues at all in this manner. It is just different than working with a console.

The SK7 is the best one I have used so far too........

My current compass has the Aqualung logo in the center, but if I were Aqualung I would disavow any association. The card doesn't want to stay level or there isn't enough angle allowance to keep it from dragging.

Instructor doesn't like the wrist mount (especially for divers new to nav) because he said it's too easy to let your arm get out of alignment with your body and thus get off course. He prefers a top view compass with both elbows locked into the side for stability. I'm sure any skill can be honed with sufficient practice, even a wrist mount compass. If you shoot a heading to a specific identifiable location using a side view and swim to that location, works well, just like orienteering in the Army. It's not navigation I'm unhappy about, it's the crappy compass. Sounds like the Oceanic or Sherwood are both possible solutions. Or, even better, a SK7 for $50.00 :D

Not to belabor the point but the compass is the same and you can still view it from the top. The mount doesn't really change anything.

I have the Sk-7 in the deep sea supply wrist mount. Also have used the oceanic style, the SK-7 is much more forgiving and I believe it is easier to read: top or side. The card can be knocked off the pin with a hard enough jolt, once I got the card back on the pin by jolting it again (and again). I replaced the second one. Beach diving in Northern California with my students gives most of these jolts. I've only replaced the one in 500 or so dives.... The oceanic is prone to sticking especially in surges when my level might be slighty off....

Nice thing about the Deep sea Supply wrist mount, you can loop one bungee around your thumb, moving the compass to the back of your hand, solving most of the body position problems your unimaginative instructor mentioned....

Hope this helps...

Thank you to those who provided helpful information relevant to the question about compass quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom