Poseidon help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcollin160

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need some help with a poseidon first stage. i just purchased a poseidon first stage off ebay $66. It is a model 3960. I bought it just for a tank pressure checker but may use it as my primary reg.

I really dont know much about poseidon, there are no dealers in my area. Is the 3960 a cyklon or jetstream? can i hook up any second stage to it or do i have to buy a jetstream or cyklon. I use an octoinflate also, will it work?

From reading some online stuff, it looks like the IP of the jetstream is about the same as other regs but the cyklon runs alot higher. correct?

any help would be appreciated..

Poseidon's older first stages are unbalanced diaphragm regs in which the IP goes up as tank pressure goes down--just the opposite of what you'd expect. Ergo, at very low tank pressures, IP may be as high as 170 psi. Average full IP is about 130 psi, which is close to other regs. I'd have to look at my book at work to see if that first stage is a Jetstream or Cyklon. Truth be told, the whole regulator is probaby a 3960. Poseidon is famous for not putting the model number of the stage on the stage itself. Rather, they let the techncian figure it out. It's half the fun of servicing Poseidons.

I think if you took any other brand second stage and tuned it to seal up at 170 psi IP, it'd breathe like a slug at 130 psi. It can be done, however and if you're just gonna use it for a tank pressure tester, have at it. I think I'd at least run it by a LDS and have them test the IP (or test it yourself if capable) to make sure that the first stage locks up as advertised before I used it, since you have no idea as to its history.

Just my two breaths' worth...

We're a Poseidon dealer, and even local! Give us acall and we'll straighten things out for you!

Need some help with a poseidon first stage. i just purchased a poseidon first stage off ebay $66. It is a model 3960. I bought it just for a tank pressure checker but may use it as my primary reg.

I really dont know much about poseidon, there are no dealers in my area. Is the 3960 a cyklon or jetstream? can i hook up any second stage to it or do i have to buy a jetstream or cyklon. I use an octoinflate also, will it work?

From reading some online stuff, it looks like the IP of the jetstream is about the same as other regs but the cyklon runs alot higher. correct?

any help would be appreciated..

The 3960 is a Jetstream regulator and a great balanced diapragm first stage. they have been around for many years and are still made. It will work with any second stage willing to be tuned to 125- 145. I have many of them coupled with Scubapros and Kirby Morgan seconds. They work fine with Air2's as well. Good reg for life.

it is a old term, it is a Poseidon Cyclon, at the 1 level, you can connect both the Cyclon and the Jetstream.

ok, lets see if i have this right.

By the poseidon website a jetstream is a 3960, a cyklon is a 3950.
The jetstream has an IP of 123-130
The cyklon has an IP of 174
A standard 1st stage, as an example zeagle 50D, has an IP of 120-150

I should be able to use a jetstream, xstream or any regular 2nd but shouldnt use a cyklon 2nd.

Does this sound right?

ok, lets see if i have this right.

By the poseidon website a jetstream is a 3960, a cyklon is a 3950.
The jetstream has an IP of 123-130
The cyklon has an IP of 174
A standard 1st stage, as an example zeagle 50D, has an IP of 120-150

I should be able to use a jetstream, xstream or any regular 2nd but shouldnt use a cyklon 2nd.

Does this sound right?

The 3960 can be used with all of the above.
It is balanced so the IP can be adjusted for compatability with all of these regulators independant of tank pressure. Don't be confused with the spec of the Cyklon.

The early Cyklon spec is a specification of maximum IP of an unbalanced pressure compensated 1st stage.
If you read the procedure for its set up you see that it is set up from a range of pressures with high tank presure and low tank pressure. The final adjustment will fall ultimately in a reasonable range well below the maximum. The literature is somewhat confusing in this regard. Don't use the spec pressure, but do follow the procedure.

Set the IP for the 2nd stage being used. A Cyklon can be used and the new Cyklon now uses this same 1st stage that you now have.

Get someone who knows how to set it up and check it yourself when they are done.
When it is right, all will be wonderful. If it is not, it will not breath well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom