Possessed D4... Stuck button?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WendyCayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using this D4 for about 3 years and have had the problem that it can just start racing through my logbook or the modes though somehow I could coax it out of its nonsense. Its becoming a real problem now though. I also struggle to get the bottom right-hand button to work at depth. For instance, I'll be stuck on temperature when I need to know the dive time. I really need dive time though when leading dives. My last dive I had to take another computer because the D4 wouldn't let me change my Nitrox blend from 21 to 28.

I spoke with some others about this and they suggested a long soak in near boiling water with a splash of vinegar or lemon juice. I just have a feeling that this would cause some sort of trouble with the manufacturer in the future or even damage my computer.

Whats the recommendation? And I can't send it off. The battery was changed very recently as well.

WendyCayman,

I would highly advise you to not soak your computer in near boiling water nor with lemon juice or vinegar. I would only recommend soaking your computer in luke warm fresh water. Did you just have a battery service or did you have the complete 2 year 200 dive service when you sent your computer in? Also, was your battery changed at an authorized Suunto service center?

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Yes agree can't imagine boiling water or acid of any kind would make your computer happy. If a long soak in warm water does not fix the issue you may have no choice but to send it in for a service. Good luck.

I did have it done at an authorised Suunto Service Centre. Though, I'm not sure what this 200 dives/ 2 years service is! I've certainly exceeded both of those! It is just such a mission to send things over seas. Can this 200dives/2years service be done in Africa? It also helps with the exchange rate!

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 01:15 PM ----------

I very much appreciate your quick answer, by the way. I've loved my D4 and I can wait til he's working proper again!

Do you have to send it away for the 2 year/200 dives service? I'm going to give my buddy a nice long soak in some shower temperature water and see. I have also noticed that in cold water its functionality goes down too. Or maybe my hands are too numb to work! I'll report back on Friday after work. We're doing 2 deep Atlantic launches... can get to 6C!

Yes, it will need to go to an authorised Suunto dealer, I'm not positive but I believe they will send it onto Suunto which may take some weeks. What ever the problem it sounds like it needs to be checked properly. Good luck, let us know how you get on. Cheers.

WendyCayman,

The 2 year 200 dive service is a complete over haul of your computer.

The details of the service for the D4 include:
-Computer will be disassembled down to the case.
-All of the o-rings / seals will be replaced.
-4 contacts inside that will be replaced.
-All 4 of the buttons will be replaced.
-There will be an integrity test which places the computer under pressure and tests for displacement of the case and air tightness.
-Lastly, a function test will be done where the computer is dove in a pressure pot to test the functionality of the D4.

This service is called the 2 year 200 dive service because, Suunto recommends this to be done every 2 years or 200 dives which ever comes first.

Please locate the closest authorized service center to you from the link provided. Suunto Dealer Locator
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

THAT sounds amazing!! I'm def going to find a place where I can get my little guy worked on!

Sigh... the button failed at depth again despite the soak. So funny because after the soaking, the button worked fine. Its the depth or the cold... 25m or 8C. Time for the servicing.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom