Possible First Scuba Setup - Aqua Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lawtyger

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm new to the forum and my wife and I just got certified last weekend. We've always loved the water and snorkeled literally every port we've hit during our 10 cruises together. But, we finally took the plunge into scuba diving and did a great job during our training and were extremely comfortable. It is definitely something we both enjoyed and feel we will continue to enjoy.

My question relates to purchasing my first setup. We talked about used gear but have decided to buy new. I've been researching various regs, BCD's, etc. and have liked what I read about Aqua Lung, particularly their Legend regulators. I was hoping to get some experienced users opinions on the following setup:

(1) Legend LX Supreme regulator
(2) Legend octo
(3) Balance BCD
(4) Aqua Flex 3mm wetsuit

I've read about each item and read nothing but positive things about the Legend regulators. It sounds like this may be overkill for a new diver but it also sounds like something that, with proper maintenance, I could use for years and years to come.

I've also read good things about the Balance BCD. I tried both a jacket style and rear inflating style during my confined water dive and did feel like at the surface I was tilting forward. But, it sounds like for what I may want to do one day (photos, spearfishing) the Balance is a good fit.

This is my first post, so please be gentle. I'm sure these questions have been asked before and I have already read about each items in various past posts (somethings comparing, for example, the Legend with another reg.). I'm hoping someone can just comment on this setup as a package.

Thanks for your comments.

Be good to your gear and your gear will be good to you.

First off, welcome to the board and congrats on your certification.

The equipment you're asking about is all very good equipment and should service you well for years to come. Even if you progress in your diving past recreational diving and get more advanced equipment, this will always be good rec diving equipment and good back-ups.

Thank you for the welcome. I've continued to read through threads after searching and most everything I read about the Legend regulator octo and Balance BCD has been positive.

I stumbled across an entertaining and informative thread called "What did you buy that your regret." I'm trying to determine as best I can if any of the items I mentioned could possibly end up in that other thread someday.

One thing I did not mention was I am able to get the items I mentioned at a discount with all 4 being $1,000 (while the MSRP would be $1,700). The only negative is that the offer is time sensitive meaning I have to make some decisions quickly. I've been researching for a few days and the package above is what I've come up with as my best option at this point.

You will never find a one hundred percent approval on any piece of equipment but as you say the equipment you're looking is looked on favorably by most people.

The deal you've been offered is a good one. You just have to be comfortable with it.

When my wife and I became certified last year we both bought Legend LX Supreme regulators. We both have absolutely no regrets. I have had the chance to demo some other regs and I still prefer mine. Throw in a good computer with the gear your looking at and you'll be set for a long time.

The Legend will do very nicely. Aqualung (or as I still like to call them US Divers :) ) has a long history of building good solid equipment and supporting their gear for many years, the Legend series is no exception. If taken a little care of, it will still be diving when you are too old to dive. For what it's worth, the internals of the Legend...and many other AL regs..are the exact same design that has been used since 1965 when the Royal Aquamaster double hose reg was introduced. There is no other design that has been in service that long and is still in production.

As for the Balance. I tend to prefer more stripped down back inflates. BCs are mostly a personal choice and IMO it's best if you have some dive time under your belt before really deciding what style/type BC you prefer. A good option is to buy a used BC locally and dive it for a while. Once you get some experience you can make a better choice of what works for you. Used BCs can be had fairly inexpensively and for the most part if they don't leak when you buy them, they will last for many more years. Not really a lot that can go wrong on them that can't be easily fixed. You can then sell it to recoupe your money or keep it as a spare/loaner. While you are considering a BC, also consider it's weight. If you travel a lot (I am guessing you do) how big, bulky and heavy it is comes into play. Unless you are doing tech diving or diving large tanks, a heavy duty BC is not really needed.

If you are comfortable diving the gear and it is kept in service, then it is the right gear for you. Good deal, good gear, I think you will be happy with it.

If you are getting a fire sale on anything Aqualung, I would look at picking up a computer as well. Suunto (owned by Aqualung) has some of the best computers out there. The Gekko jumps to mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom