Possible First Scuba Setup - Aqua Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are comfortable diving the gear and it is kept in service, then it is the right gear for you. Good deal, good gear, I think you will be happy with it.

If you are getting a fire sale on anything Aqualung, I would look at picking up a computer as well. Suunto (owned by Aqualung) has some of the best computers out there. The Gekko jumps to mind.

Good advice. Unfortunately, the discount I'm getting doesn't apply to computers. Thus, I have a bit more time to research that purchase since I'm not getting the cost savings on it. I do have the Suunto brochure and will be learning more about my options there in the coming weeks.

I would strongly consider adding a gauge setup to the package. Without it, you'll still have to rent one and attach it to your first stagebefore your dive and take it off after (exposing the first stage's innards). Maintainable will be a hassle, and that's something you don't want to skimp on with nice new equipment.

For gauges there are a few options you should be aware of:
- Traditional gauge console
- Wired air integrated computer
- Wireless air integrated computer
- Non air-integrated computer and SPG (submersible pressure gauge)
- SPG and wrist mount depth gauge

And in any of these cases the compass mounts either on the wrist, on a retractor, on a hose or on the console. My personal preference is for a SPG and wrist mounted depth gauge and compass, but try things, talk to people and find out what you prefer.

Dive safe!

Like many divers, I own a few regs. The one I have used the most over the past 15yrs has been a particular US Divers reg. I don't remember the model. I was told in 1995 that it was the most used reg in the US Navy (at that time)

Last year I replaced it with a Legend. I swear the performance seems double. It is a kick ass reg in my opinion. I love it. The only downside is mine has a chrome decorative ring. A barracuda got right in my face last season. I think the chrome ring is where his interest was.

Bought a Aqua Flex 3mm jumpsuit last season as well. Great suit. No problems there either. Have had many suits.

I also purchased a Black Diamond BC by Seaquest (which is another name for Aqualung). Probably more lift than I need but it feels GREAT. Its new of course so the mechanisms are sharp and distinct in their actions. I feel really secure with it. It feels like it is going to take good care of me, although, would strip it off in a heartbeat if I found that to be necessary. I personally feel good inside about wearing equipment designed and manufactured by a company once owned by Jacque Cousteau. I feel like his spirit is still here and he somehow knows we are wearing his gear. It makes him happy and he is smiling.

If I had to do it all over again this is the setup I would choose:

BCD:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html
I would talk to scubatoys on getting a slightly larger wing like a 35 or 44lbs depending on your needs. A balance is a great bcd but the express tech is a more modular design n lighter for travel.

The basic setup:
Zeagle Express Tech BCD
or
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD reviews and discounts, Zeagle

I emailed Scott at Zeagle n he said the express tech will accept any other wing so long as it has 11" spacing.

Regs:

I used to own the legend lx and I can say it's the easiest and best breathing reg I've ever used however, for the price I would rather get an Apeks DS4/XTX50 & another XTX 50 octo. If you wanted to spurge, a FXT/XTX100/XTX50 octo is my current setup. The scubapro Ml17/G250 is also another great setup.

SangP

I would strongly consider adding a gauge setup to the package. Without it, you'll still have to rent one and attach it to your first stagebefore your dive and take it off after (exposing the first stage's innards). Maintainable will be a hassle, and that's something you don't want to skimp on with nice new equipment.

For gauges there are a few options you should be aware of:
- Traditional gauge console
- Wired air integrated computer
- Wireless air integrated computer
- Non air-integrated computer and SPG (submersible pressure gauge)
- SPG and wrist mount depth gauge

And in any of these cases the compass mounts either on the wrist, on a retractor, on a hose or on the console. My personal preference is for a SPG and wrist mounted depth gauge and compass, but try things, talk to people and find out what you prefer.

Dive safe!

A computer and/or gauges are the next purchase. The computers were only minimally discounted so I decided to take a bit more time and understand what I am getting and how it can be used as my needs/desires change.

Much research to do but my initial impression is I like the Viper Air. Not sure I would go with a transmitter at first, but it seems like something I could start out with in a console and then add a transmitter and wrist mount it and lose the extra hose. That said, I really don't know the ins and outs of the other Suunto products in that price range. I do know that I would like a bigger display than the D4 and D6 and the Vyper air looked very readable to me.

Just curious, but what BC did you get instead of the Balance and why do you wish you had gotten the Balance instead?

I got the Aqua Lung Pro LT. I like it however the Balance feels more comfortable to me I dove in my friends Balanes and just liked the feel of the back inflate style.

I have the Vyper Air too. We went ahead and got the transmitters with them from the start. They are very easy to use and with the nitrox and gas switching capabilities they give you a lot of room to grow.

I like Oceanic computers due to them being a little more liberal than the rest that are out there. I have a veo 180x, geo and an atom 2.0. I recommend you getting the wireless transmitter for whatever computer you get, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I like Oceanic computers due to them being a little more liberal than the rest that are out there. I have a veo 180x, geo and an atom 2.0. I recommend you getting the wireless transmitter for whatever computer you get, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Yeah, at the very least I want a computer that has the capibility to use a wireless transmitter.

If anyone can rattle off a few other wireless transmitter options I'll certainly add them to my research list.

I have a Viper Air with transmitter. Nice large display and I've never had a problem with the computer and transmitter not synch'ing. It also will switch one has and has a bottom timer mode, so it gives you some room to grow.

Back
Top Bottom