Possible large shark predation @ redondo beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

textilet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My brother and I dove at veteran's park in Redondo beach yeasterday morning and found something kind of amazing. We were down at 101 ft, it was a little soupy, and out of the darkness looms this...thing, lying on the muddy bottom. As we approached, it looked like maybe a very large dead fish, but once we were within 5 feet it became clear that it was the body of a dead dolphin. The skin was a little worse for wear, so it wasn't immediately obvious what species it was. The dolphin was about 4.5 ft long, and the head area was just skeletal from the neck forward but the elongate beak was clearly visible on the skull. The body was largely intact. As my eyes moved down the body i saw there was an area of damage on the ventral side of the caudal peduncle...i nearly messed my dry suit when i realized the "damaged area" was semi-circular, and about 12 to 14 inches across. All kinds of thoughts started running through my mind, but there was no way around it--this dolphin was bitten by a large shark. Putting my face up close, i thought i could actually discern a scalloped shape around the edge of the wound, with about 1 to 1 1/4 inch wide tooth marks.

I've read that Great Whites aren't supposed to be around this time of year, but I can't think of anything else that would have been able to impose that type of wound on a dolphin. I considered the possibility that the wound was post-mortem, but it appeared to be of the same vintage as the carcass itself--that is, the edges of the wound showed about the same degree of decay as the body as a whole.
I think this dolphin was killed by a great white, and not far from where we found it. I'd love to hear opinions on why this is or is not likely.

At anyrate, no one has to take my word for it. I assume the dolphin is still there, and i will gladly direct anyone to the spot so they can see for themselves. Also, we had a video camera with us, and though the lens had fogged over a bit, we turned the camera on and filmed the carcass. You can see everything you need to see despite the fogged lens. I will post a link to the film once my brother uploads it today.
This wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever seen underwater, but it was one of the most amazing. I am just constantly blown away by the stuff we find down there.

Interesting find. I would think that a 12-14" bite mark would not come from a particularly large GWS if that was the cause, but rather a "juvenile." I would also think it would be be hard for one to catch a dolphin swimming unless by surprise. We've been having sea lions show up dead so the dolphin may possibly have been sick when struck, or even dead already.

heh, yes..."large" that is when compared to the horned sharks and leopard sharks I'm used to. Not large for a great white. You are local (Catalina) right? In your experience, is it normal for the sharks to be around and eating stuff this time of year? You've been finding sea lions lately?

I've seen a few dead bottlenose at Catalina. Always worse for wear. I've seen sea lions near Ship Rock with huge bite marks too. Without some direct forensic evidence* it's hard to determine actual cause of death. Blues, Mako, Whites and occasional Tigers are around during the summer.

* carcass, photographic evidence or even better - a embedded tooth

Yeah the plan is to go back on thursday and pick it over for teeth, maybe stake it out a little bit at night and see what critters show up to nibble. if its still there anyway. But aside from that, a blue shark with a 14 inch wide mouth would be a hell of a blue shark. same for a mako i think.

Yeah the plan is to go back on thursday and pick it over for teeth, maybe stake it out a little bit at night and see what critters show up to nibble. if its still there anyway. But aside from that, a blue shark with a 14 inch wide mouth would be a hell of a blue shark. same for a mako i think.

The forensic evidence would tell us a lot. 14" is pretty big and given that you didn't see ragged edges (like a Mako bite + they are way overfished so all you see are puny guys) it's probably some other apex predator. Some of the blues we chummed in Catalina were easily 7 - 8 ft. I forgot to mention that during one summer in Catalina I must have counted at least 7-8 headless sea elephants with super large bite marks. Pretty gross stuff, not to mention the heat of summer expands unbroken intestines like weather balloons. :shocked2:

We look forward to your unfolding underwater detective story!

Yep, seen a "few" seriously injured (or already deceased) sea lions in our waters from what appear to be great white "attacks" (the GWS is just feeding... do we "attack" our hamburgers and vegetables?). Several reports of fairly large makos in some areas along the Catalina coast, although these are generally fish eaters and the ones that I encounter are usually small juveniles.

Will be interesting to hear what your further investigation yields.

Transient Killer Whales have been seen off Dana Point again last week. They have been spotted off the Palos Verdes Pennisula too from time to time. I wouldn't rule them out as a possible suspects either.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom