Possible Lessons from Peacock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post JoeL, I agree this is indeed the place to discuss these kinds of events as painful as they may be. None of these comments are aimed at the individuals involved with intent to degrade or inflict harm. We have harm enough already, and I, for one hope people read these and learn from it. That word gets out to the dive community and that accidents like these never happen again. Lofty goal I'm sure. But the discussion must continue. I think that review of standards and the consequences of violating them has to be burned into every divers mind on a regular basis. It's easy to swagger about and get cocky as one's experience level and expertise becomes significant. We must remain thoughtful and humble when it comes to the topic of extreme diving. From this discussion I find good review of the following points to be of value.
1. Always a continous line to the surface, and proper gapping must be done to insure this.
2. Progressive penetration of a system or ship wreck so one learns the features over several dives.
3. Keep the team together, never alone in a cave.
4. Always insure a sufficient supply of the appropriate gas for the intended dive, and that the balance of equipment is likewise appropriate.
5. Avoid going excessively deep and into decompression unless it is part of the plan, within limitations of training and experience, and the team is properly equipped briefed and comfortable with the details.
6. Gas management! Never violate the rule of 3rd's...the team exits as a group when the 1st member to hit his 3rd turn's the dive and all members confirm the signal.
7. Never dive beyond the level of your training and experience.
There are a good many others but I list only those I gleaned from this discussion, and I appreciate the review. Craig

Scuba_Steve:
Forgot to mention as well, but I think somebody already did. Another "optionable choice" that was mentioned to me was leaving the reel deployed, and tied off, in your search for your lost buddy, in hopes that it's another line that he may come across, realize it's his team reel and understand from there. (I think Mike said it earlier....) But we're way out there now on the what-ifs and becauses :)

Thanks for your last Joel.

When I mentioned leaving the reel I was refering to a lost line search. the end of the line is tied off at the point where you started the search. The reel or spool is tied off to the line when you find it and a marker placed indicating the way you think is out.

My comment about the wet notes seemed to cause some confusion too. I don't advocate performing these skills any different that the procedure presented in the texts and the way most cave instructors teach it.

The wet notes are just added information if you feel you need it...as in my case I worry that my arrow looks like the other 500 arrows in the system.

Reels are things that can always be left temporarily if things get goofy. Although, I carry 2 safty spools so if I leave one I don't have to exit without one.

Scuba_Steve:
Were any of you also taught to leave a back-up light, turned "on" clipped to the line, beside the wet-notes as well?

Yes I was taught to leave a light, the light clipped to the line signifies an unusual situation (that "I lost my buddy and I have to exit is!")

It gives the lost diver visual reference if they have no light,

and it correctly identifies the point of lostness.

and what do you need the light for?? you are heading out!!! your buddy may need it more than you, that is why you carry 2 backups.

MikeFerrara:
The wet notes are just added information if you feel you need it...as in my case I worry that my arrow looks like the other 500 arrows in the system.

same with the light, but with wetnotes or a slate, you can indicate time and direction etc.

MikeFerrara:
Reels are things that can always be left temporarily if things get goofy. Although, I carry 2 safty spools so if I leave one I don't have to exit without one.

I was actually taught to leave the spiders web of line that you laid during the search. The reasoning that the more line there is in the vecinity of and leading to the main line, the more likely the lost diver is to find it and follow it to the main line..

Thanks for that info Mark. It sums up quite nicely the reasons for these "variations" that may or may not be applicable in certain situations.

I'm wonder now, if this is a "Mexican" thing :) Were you taught in Mexico? Just curious as to the differences. Are they local, agency, specific Instructors etc.

I know of two for sure, Instructors that give mention to the leaving the back-up under certain circumstances,...both Mexican, but I believe taught by different people.

Interesting.

That's why I'm sitting here. I'm learning and "training" right now. I think Mike said it before, this discussion stuff is a form of top-side training.

Good posts all.

Since we have started looking at the ways skills are done here is a writing that I put together. Lets review it as a comparison of emergency skills.

Holy crap from Hell! Joel's accounts of that dive scare the beejeebees outta' me just reading about it. You guys were...that...close. Sheesh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom