Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I inquired about doing something here, getting involved with NOAA, let’s get to work here but it’s difficult, not sure what the park did at all. I do know there are a lot of “retired “ divers that would have loved to chart and observe, but you can’t do anything.

Where did you enquire? Also, It might be a language thing. Do you speak fluent Spanish? I speak Spanish, but not fluently - and most people here on this board and as well as divers that have moved here (Cozumel) that are English speaking- seem very unaware of the various news and meetings that take place and information that is generally shared amongst the Spanish speaking dive professionals, scientists and marine biologists here. You also need to fully understand the limitations and the responsibilities of each local and government agency. That is no small feat.

Who are the following people/organizations/associations:

-Taxists
-FPMC
- Consignee Agencies
-API
-Hotel Association
-Tour Operators
-Capitanía de Puerto
-Semar
-State Goverment
-Municipal government
-UQROO

Where/who is the diving association? Is it ANOATT or something like that?

I’ve been to a few northern sites, not their adventure dive sites but others - while they are cool and a added change of pace, I wouldn’t want that to become the pace. I’ve been far enough north that the island is barely visible. The wall is deep with no area to shallow up. Due north is some shallow diving but no wall. Not knocking the northern sites, they are a fantastic change of pace, some are expert only, it’s a long ride, it’s different - from way north to islote, there is an incredible variety of diving
That has been my limited experience with the north sites. Dave seemed to have a differing opinion so I was asking what site or sites he was referring to that were comparable or better than palancar caves and Columbia deep, and accessible to intermediate or novice divers.

They are closing it down due to what they call an “emergency situation” which includes, but is not limited to:

1. The lack of park guarda-parques (park rangers) due to retirements
2. The chronic lack of funding for hiring park rangers
3. The overwhelming number of illegal dive operations taking divers to the park. By illegal, they mean dive operations that don’t have park permits and/or are not a tax-paying Mexican business, but are “working under the table”, often with illegal immigrants (Yep, they have lots of those in Mexico, too!) and are basically ignoring park rules.
4. The large number of legal operators who still allow their divers to:
A. Wear gloves
B: Carry spears
C. Carry metal prods
D. Touch the coral
E. Drag their fins on the coral
F. Let their dangles bang the coral
G. Hold onto coral to keep steady for photograph
5. The huge number of operators (legal and illegal) that are taking tourists to El Cielo and allowing them to handle the starfish
6. The coral disease that is killing the reefs
7. The sewage runoff from beach clubs and hotels

Let us look at these one by one:

Response: Hire and train new park rangers. Is unemployment 0% on the island? This is not a factor that justifies the closing.

Response: Lobby the state/federal government for more of the scuba marine park fees or get some from the cruise ship funds. I don't damage the reefs and have no need for a "park ranger" to monitor my diving. This is not a factor that justifies the closing.

3. The overwhelming number of illegal dive operations taking divers to the park. By illegal, they mean dive operations that don’t have park permits and/or are not a tax-paying Mexican business, but are “working under the table”, often with illegal immigrants (Yep, they have lots of those in Mexico, too!) and are basically ignoring park rules.

Response: If they know about these "illegal operations" then shut them down or make them see that compliance with current rules and regulations is the way to go. Don't shut down highly desired dive sites for local inability to end the practice. This is not a factor that justifies the closing.

A. Wear gloves
C. Carry metal prods
D. Touch the coral

Response: I don't know that the assertions are valid. But for fun I will address each.
a. Banning gloves has always been asinine.
b. If "spears" are used to kill lion fish, is it better to let lion fish multiply? What are the bad consequences, if any, of having a thriving ion fish population compared to some divers having "spears?"
c. I don't know what metal prods are.
d. Touching coral is a no-no. Educate and reinforce that during the pre-dive briefing.
e. Don't drag your fins on the coral but that will become more common at sites not closed to divers, hence hastening problems there.
f. Secure "dangles." Use dangle clips.
g. Photographers should be banned. I agree with this one. They hold up the group, take up lots of room on the boat and are basically self-entitled prima donnas.

5. The huge number of operators (legal and illegal) that are taking tourists to El Cielo and allowing them to handle the starfish

Response: I agree with this if factual. But you don't close everything for a problem at one location. Find a solution for that one site.

Response: As a diver did I bring the disease into the coral system or spread it? If not, then this is also an invalid justification for closing these sites.

Response: This is disgusting if true. Close those beach clubs and hotels, implement temporary alternatives like porta potties at beach clubs and work on a permanent solution. Again this is not a diver related problem that justifies closing the sites.

Note: MrBigfins "liked" this post before I had finished it and in particular made a very reasoned and dare I say...irrefutable...justification for banning photographers from diving in Cozumel. My wit and humor cracks me up.

Not sure what you "totally disagree" with. But I live here and things have a way of changing rapidly - even when things sound like they are written in stone.

Maybe an early leak and loud reaction can help that happen.

THANK YOU CHRISTI!
I would ask that Scuba Board take this post down until formal and final statements are released. I do not understand how someone outside the ANOAAT group and the Marine Park thought it was all right to make such a public statement when they are not involved in this process and the meeting hasn't even been held yet and no final decisions have been made.
Not to mention that any statement released would have most certainly been made in Spanish??
So is this a translation someone posted?

ANY public announcement regarding scuba diving in Cozumel and any dive areas closed should come from a announcement from a FORMAL source!

THIS IS HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE!

Completely disagree! I was just about to book a trip to Cozumel for December 6th. Now I will wait to see the final decision.

If any group is considering closing part of the park the public should be informed immediately.

Maybe an early leak and loud reaction can help that happen.

I hope you are right. We will see tomorrow and in the days to come. I would recommend that people get further information from vetted sources and not reply on Google translation. I've already seen a number of translation inaccuracies shared. But that happens all the time here. Not meant to be disrespectful at all. After living here full time for over 7 years and speaking spanish, I still struggle greatly with my fluency. For something as important as this, I have several Go-To people that are completely fluent to rely on for my information. Two are marine biologists, four are long-time dive shop owners and members of ANOAAT, and the other is long time resident and representative of DAN in the Caribbean. All are are completely bilingual in English and Spanish. Those are my trusted sources. As much as I adore my long-time dive masters and instructor friends, there are many that may not have a grasp of the situation, the workings of the different government agencies involved and the supporting studies and research.

For those of you that might be interested in these two published studies here are the links. I have a research account and downloaded the full articles in pdf form. If you have difficulting downloading it - I will be happy to email it to you. But please send me a message in order to make sure I see your reply. Thank you.

A rapid spread of the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease outbreak in the Mexican Caribbean - August 2019 - Alvarez-Filip, Lorenzo & Estrada Saldivar, Nuria & Perez-Cervantes, Esmeralda & Molina-Hernández, Ana & González-Barrios, F. Javier. (2019).

Coral reef systems of the Mexican Caribbean: Status, recent trends and conservation. Status, recent trends and conservation. Marine Pollution Bulletin. - July 2018 - Rioja-Nieto, Rodolfo & Alvarez-Filip, Lorenzo. (2018).

Research Articles by Lorenzo Alvarez-Filip
https://www.barcolab.org/research

Completely disagree! I was just about to book a trip to Cozumel for December 6th. Now I will wait to see the final decision.
If any group is considering closing part of the park the public should be informed immediately.

You are missing the point - I only asked that they wait for the formal meeting which was to take place in two days.
I would feel the same as you under the circumstances - but it does help to have all the facts and the premature release by somebody living in Texas who decided to release a badly translated English report, probably will not give you all the information you need. Thank you.

Let us look at these one by one:

Response: Hire and train new park rangers. Is unemployment 0% on the island? This is not a factor that justifies the closing.

Response: Lobby the state/federal government for more of the scuba marine park fees or get some from the cruise ship funds. I don't damage the reefs and have no need for a "park ranger" to monitor my diving. This is not a factor that justifies the closing.

Response: If they know about these "illegal operations" then shut them down or make them see that compliance with current rules and regulations is the way to go. Don't shut down highly desired dive sites for local inability to end the practice. This is not a factor that justifies the closing.

A. Wear gloves
C. Carry metal prods
D. Touch the coral

Response: I don't know that the assertions are valid. But for fun I will address each.
a. Banning gloves has always been asinine.
b. If "spears" are used to kill lion fish, is it better to let lion fish multiply? What are the bad consequences, if any, of having a thriving ion fish population compared to some divers having "spears?"
c. I don't know what metal prods are.
d. Touching coral is a no-no. Educate and reinforce that during the pre-dive briefing.
e. Don't drag your fins on the coral but that will become more common at sites not closed to divers, hence hastening problems there.
f. Secure "dangles." Use dangle clips.
g. Photographers should be banned. I agree with this one. They hold up the group, take up lots of room on the boat and are basically self-entitled prima donnas.

Response: I agree with this if factual. But you don't close everything for a problem at one location. Find a solution for that one site.

Response: As a diver did I bring the disease into the coral system or spread it? If not, then this is also an invalid justification for closing these sites.

Response: This is disgusting if true. Close those beach clubs and hotels, implement temporary alternatives like porta potties at beach clubs and work on a permanent solution. Again this is not a diver related problem that justifies closing the sites.

Note: MrBigfins "liked" this post before I had finished it and in particular made a very reasoned and dare I say...irrefutable...justification for banning photographers from diving in Cozumel. My wit and humor cracks me up.

While I liked it before you finished, my like still stands even after it was finished. I agree with the prima Donna classification, most serious photographers that I have dove with are not holding onto coral to snap a photo. Finger in the sand yes, but not on coral.
The sewage is not just an issue at the resorts or beach clubs. Have you been downtown after a major rain? Where do you think all that run off mixed with sewage goes? Into the ocean.
We are in agreement that the listed reasons are a lame attempt at rationalizing the closure. Seems to be more about lack of rangers than actually saving the reefs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom