Post Apicectomy Tenderness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
I had an apicectomy 6 days ago. Local anaesthetic, 4 stiches in my gum, it all seems to have gone well enough. I still have some tenderness in the gum and was wondering how long this tends to last because I'm headed for the Seychelles in a few weeks and intending to get some dives in. But the way it is at the moment, I don't think I could keep a mouthpiece in without discomfort. The affected area is above upper incisor (which is a crown in any case). Thanks for any sharing of experiences.

brizzolatti, your back!

So you finally had surgery!

It is not uncommon to experience tenderness (an understatement, right) in the surgery area. Frequently, this area bruises and may show through the lip as a purple to yellowish spot in the vicinity of surgery. Most likely the sutures are dissolveable but if not you must have them removed to avoid an infection.

Some surgeons do an apicoectomy with apical currettage. Another words, they remove the root tip, scoop out the infected tissue and cover it up. This may leave behind a potential source of reinfection if the original root canal was not perfectly sealed to the end of the root.

Personally, I prefer to have the surgery done with root apex removal, currettage AND a retrograde filling with MTA (mineral trioxide aggregate). It stimulate bone formation around of the "new root tip". You very well might have had a retrograde filling and just not know it. It can also be filled with amalgam, or Super EBA cement.

You will probably need just a few weeks to heal, however, there may be raised area over the surgical site that slowly resolves. The regulator mouthpiece may irritate this spot and cause mouth sores. If it does, use a sharp scissor, razor blade or a toe nail clipper and remove the part of the offending mouthpiece--try to bevel the edges inside and out. This may still leave behind a sharp edge--try a nail file or a butane lighter to "fire polish" the rubber edge. DO NOT DO THIS ON A REGULATOR CONNECTED TO NITROX !!!!!!!!!!!!--This will flame polish everyones equipment!

Have a great time on your dive. Contact me if you want more info.

Laurence Stein DDS

:doctor:

Now for the official part...Disclaimer
(No representations are made that in any way offer a diagnosis, treatment or cure for any illness or condition, either discussed or implied. Answers to questions are offered as information only and should always be used in conjunction with advice from your personal diving physician/dentist. I take no responsibility for any conceivable consequence, which might be related to any visit to this site.)

brizzolatti,

BTW, instead of messing with the scuba mouthpiece yourself. Bring your regulator to the dentist and have him adjust the proper area and smooth it up...if he's a nice guy he should do it and if he's not....you still got nail clippers.

Larry Stein
:doctor:

Hey, Laurence - wonderful reply as ever! I have no idea what exactly the surgeon did - too busy closing my eyes and wishing it was over!

No, seriously, it was amazingly painless considering what the guy was doing up there. I had a bruise underneath the lip to the side of where the surgery was but it's fading.

I didn't know I had to be good with a pair of scissors to do this diving lark - jeez, I'm not really good with my hands that way.

Maybe I will give a friendly dentist a call. Or surgeon. I'm to go back to the hospital in 10 days so I'll see what they say there. Though most doctors - not unreasonably enough - don't know much about diving.

And the stitches are dissolvable so they should just fade away.

God - the thought of a blow torch in my hands ............!!!:eek:

Yo, yo, brizzolatti,

Now you got me started on a totally different subject--It has to do with scissors...First Aid Kits.

There are some great kits available from outdoor outfitter stores. You don't need the most expensive but you do need something better than the el cheapo version. Then you customize it with things for diving. DAN has a good kit.

Your basic first aid stuff is going to be there BUT you should add a few things...and this list won't be complete. Coins (they make good screwdrivers--you can change computer batteries and you will have the money to make an emergency call from a phone box), safety pins, your pants could fall off!, disposable razor, butane lighter, rubberbands, bug repellant, earwash, electronic thermometer, minimag flashlight, extra absorbent feminine pads--this is NOT a girl thing, while not sterile, they are clean and they are truely wonderful if you get a really nasty gash--whatever is inside really absorbs bleeding. Superglue (you docs are gonna hate me--but when you don't have stitches and you're in the middle of nowhere, it can work. In fact some have recommended that dentists actually seal small cuts on their hands with it--it stops your bleeding immediately and will usually last all day. No, it is not for major wound closure and yes, some people can be skin sensitive to it. Meat tenderizer ( can also cause sensitivity), alcohol, vinegar, assorted O-rings slightly smaller than your fingers--have you every really tried to bandage a cut finger on a rocking boat without the wound area getting messed up. The O-rings can be used as a "5 minute tourniquet".

Like I said, this list is not complete. I would actually love to see what others have come up with.

Brizzolatti, the reason I bring this subject up at all is that I don't trust strangers in strange lands. I have been on a dive boat that had oxygen but no mask (now I carry a Lederle Mask WITH an inlet nipple for oxygen) and we had to give it to a diver who was rescued. I also carry enough spare, "save a dive stuff" to make a quick repair that would have left me out of the water.

Anyway, try to get your mouthpiece adjusted and take a second mouthpiece with a few tie wraps.

Have a great dive and this is not dental advice so I take no responsibility for it!!!!!!!

Larry Stein DDS

Laurence - what a list! My sexist comment is .... only a man could think of all that!! It is brilliant and so practical. Of course, as a dippy girlie, I have spent my life relying on men to sort out all the things that might require a screwdriver (I hope no one in Women Only is reading this, I might get lynched!). And I've managed to get away with it! But I am so impressed with your list, that I might be inspired to go over to the other side. I bet you're great to be on the boat with. I am particularly taken with the Superglue tip and your use of feminie hygiene products!! I think you should repost this somewhere else where others have the chance to comment.

DivingGal already saw it and posted it as a separate thread. Only she didn't mention WHY I carry feminine hygiene products!!!

I'm really gonna catch you know what for that!

Larry Stein

I just got back from the Seychelles and am pleased to report absolutely no problems with mouth or tooth after apicectomy a few weeks ago. Plus no problems with ears this time - thanks to the advice here, I was equalising before I went under water. Great advice, guys. Thanks.

PS - Laurence - didn't need scissors or any other tools!

I'm jealous. Wish I could have been there. I'm glad you had no trouble and enjoyed your dives. Keep in touch

Regards,

Larry Stein

brizzolatti

It's my turn to be sexist--after your remark about my first aid kit and it's...ahem...unusual contents.

The Rules -- This Time By Men

(Please note .. these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!)

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's
up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining
about you leaving it down.

1. Birthdays, Valentines, and Anniversaries are not quests to
see if we can find the perfect present yet again!

1. Sometimes we are not thinking about you. Live with it.

1. Sunday = sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of
the tides. Let it be.

1. Don't cut your hair. Ever. Long hair is always more
attractive than short hair. One of the big reasons guys fear getting married is that
married women always cut their hair, and by then you're stuck with her.

1 . Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to
think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: Subtle
hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work!
Just say it!

1. We don't remember dates. Mark birthdays and anniversaries
on a calendar. Remind us frequently beforehand.

1. Most guys own three pairs of shoes - tops. What makes you
think we'd be any good at choosing which pair, out of thirty, would look
good with your dress?

1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every
question.

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it.
That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that last for 17 months is a problem. See a
doctor.

1. Check your oil! Please.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an
argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't
expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We
refuse to answer.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways, and one
of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

1. Let us ogle. We are going to look anyway; it's genetic.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you
want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it
yourself.

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say
during commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions, and neither
do we.

1. The relationship is never going to be like it was the first
two months we were going out. Get over it. And quit whining to your
girlfriends.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default
settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We
have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

1. We are not mind readers and we never will be. Our lack of
mind-reading ability is not proof of how little we care about you.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," we will act
like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the
hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect
an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear
is fine. Really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are
prepared to discuss such topics as navel lint, the shotgun formation, or monster
trucks.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. Foreign films are best left to foreigners. (Unless it's
Bruce Lee or some war flick where it doesn't really matter what the heck they're
saying anyway.)

1. It is neither in your best interest or ours to take the
quiz together. No, it doesn't matter which quiz.

1. BEER is as exciting for us as handbags are for you.

1. I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape.

1. Thank you for reading this; Yes, I know, I have to sleep on
the couch tonight, but did you know we really don't mind that, it's like
camping.

Hey, pass this on to Dee

Larry Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom