Post dive mucus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zekethesheik

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I noticed upon surfacing after every dive last week up in the Browning Pass BC area I had a big ball of fairly bright orange mucus that I expectorated. Not to get too gross, but it was kind of "airy", too.

Any thoughts or experience?
Thanks

Diving is a mucous intensive sport. A good buddy will always do a boog check for you once you surface and prior to interacting with others.

Isn't SCUBA a glamorous sport? :D

Blood tinged mucus after a diver can commonly be a result of sinus barotrauma. Frequent gentle clearing on descent and slowing your ascent rate can help, but not always eliminate this.

I get it with some regularity, a little red-orange goop inside my mask. It doesn't really bother me, I'm long past being grossed out by what my body does, it doesn't hurt (in fact I don't know it's happening except visually) and I don't feel "at risk" as a result. Except ...

One time earlier this year, it happened at depth, and I just couldn't figure out what the black stuff that was obscuring my vision was. As it happened, I was already a little stressed, very cold local water and my first time on the Yukon, and diving in thick kelp, but I couldn't feel anything external. And I had a new mask on, so I was a little worried it was exuding something from the skirt. Turns out I was just too deep to see red. As I ascended, it started to turn orange, and I had an aha! moment, and was back to normal - no longer worried, just annoyed.

It kind of put me over the top stress-wise though, couldn't hold my safety stop, and I scrubbed the second dive.

Back
Top Bottom