Post-pandemic comeback? Not yet! The dive industry is still crashing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly in Australia any suggestion of servicing regulators yourself is met with vehement opposition starting with "It's life support equipment, you will DIE" to LDS refusal to sell the smallest OEM spare part direct let alone a service kit!

I recently enquired about Poseidon service training, seeing as that company seems to have a more enlightened view of owner servicing in other countries, but nope... had to be affiliated with a dive shop, and they were going to confirm with any dive shop nominated!
Same here but plenty of part sources.

Sadly in Australia any suggestion of servicing regulators yourself is met with vehement opposition starting with "It's life support equipment, you will DIE" to LDS refusal to sell the smallest OEM spare part direct let alone a service kit!

I recently enquired about Poseidon service training, seeing as that company seems to have a more enlightened view of owner servicing in other countries, but nope... had to be affiliated with a dive shop, and they were going to confirm with any dive shop nominated!
It’s no different here.
That’s why companies like Deep6, Hog, DiveRite, DGX, have done well with the DIY crowd because they believe in the right to repair.
I like old Scubapro like MK5, MK2, etc. because I can get parts, but it’s tricky.

The prices for flights are soooo extremely high now, that a lot won't travel anymore at the moment. So I think that this is also a problem with some dive operators.

The prices for flights are soooo extremely high now, that a lot won't travel anymore at the moment. So I think that this is also a problem with some dive operators.
Some airlines are trying to get their hands on our pocket too greedily/quickly.
I am just not prepared to pay for a hugely inflated fare.

I won't be flying this year. Still too many hassles. I don't need any fool changing the rules at the border, and ruining my well earned vacation.

Diving will be done by truck this year. Going to give the Carolina dive shops a chance for the first time.

Is this like a place that’s so crowded that nobody goes there anymore?

Is this like a place that’s so crowded that nobody goes there anymore?
Maybe higher from their point of origin? I am east coast US and this month have booked airfare to Cayman and Cocos and both were sub-$1k USD.

Thailand is planning to introduce tourist tax of B300.00(US$9.00) this June if the cabinet approved. The fee would not deter any would be travellers visiting the Kingdom.
I would not be at all surprised that some countries would follow suit.

Thailand is planning to introduce tourist tax of B300.00(US$9.00) this June if the cabinet approved. The fee would not deter any would be travellers visiting the Kingdom.
I would not be at all surprised that some countries would follow suit.
Such a deal! Cocos taxes/fees are:

Park fee - $490 US plus 13% govt tax
Emergency Evacuation Plan Fee - $30 US

A quick look at the USA and the Asia-Pacific region.

1) USA

In the 3rd quarter of this year, the number of entry-level scuba diving certifications issued to Americans is down from last year (-4.8%) and down from pre-pandemic levels (-9.8%). So far, there is no “post-pandemic comeback” for the dive industry. Instead, we are simply “back on the declining slope” we were on before COVID-19.

2) Asia-Pacific

In Asia-Pacific, the situation is significantly more disastrous, with open-water certifications down 42.5% in the first 9 months of this year compared to pre-COVID levels.

What say you?
Where do you get these stats from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom