Post-pandemic comeback? Not yet! The dive industry is still crashing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entry-level scuba diving certifications. For this group this is a luxury item. With the way the economy is rolling right now most people are not thinking of where to spend money having fun. Throttle back the spending and don't pick up anything new and expensive. That fun money is now going into the gas tank and the grocery store. The start of the winter doesn't do much for bringing people out for a water sport either.

Airlines, resort and dive operators had managed to upset a lot of clients.
1. Some airlines, big or small, refused to offer full refund even they had cancelled the flights. Coupon or travel fund is being offered but when you want to rebook the flight you have to pay the differences! It should be a FREE ticket with no restriction. One airline(Malindo Air) has been taken over by Batik but the new airline does not serve the route that I want! What should I do with the travel fund?
2. Hotel/resort would not refund the reservation because they did not cancel the flight to stop you from arriving.
3. LoB! Far too many stories about them.

All these three countries have been ready for quite a while but the final decision rest on the other side.
However, flight to Indonesia and Philippines have not recovered yet.
Demand and supply?
I doubt it's a classic supply-demand issue.

I described a number of likely factors in my earlier post, which I'd summarize as international travel either is too much hassle, or perceived that way. Essentially, for travel to actually be back to "normal", you'd need to (a) remove all covid-restrictions (b) for all countries to, from, and transit, and (c) people have to be aware of this.

(Disclaimer: This isn't meant to debate people's choices or politics, just observing human-action) The "ALL covid restrictions" is an important point. It's worth recognizing that there is a subset of the population which is unvaccinated, not-boosted, will not deal with masks on long flights, and even a few who will not take covid-tests.

Cause gas costs $4 a gallon, grocery prices are sky high, inflation is killing pretty much everyone. Why would the everyday Joe Schmo spend $2k + getting certified and buying gear when they can’t even get ahead of their bills?

I know people going back to open-circuit from rebreathers and to recreational diving from technical diving. Or quitting outright.
I've certainly seen a number of full RB sets coming up for sale recently... seem to have had little use, and as times get tighter having $5,000+ invested in one doesn't make much sense for the occasional diver.

When exactly did Indonesia, Thailand, and the Philippines open back up to tourists?

Several months ago. Although anyone wanting to go to Indonesia could get the B211a social visa for the last couple of years. So Indonesia to some extent was always open to travelers.

I know people going back to open-circuit from rebreathers and to recreational diving from technical diving. Or quitting outright.
Pity.

Diving industry is not the only one still suffering from Wuhan Virus.
The economy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom