Post photo shoot processing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJSmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a simple post photo shoot program that can be used? I just want to do simple things, such as light compensation, resizing for web, red eye and cropping. I have a Photo Shop, but is way too cumbersome to use. I wind up using the Windows photo gallery that is already on the computer.

Thanks

ACDsee

ACDSee Photo Software

I too have full Photoshop CS4, and find myself using ACDsee 95% of the time do to just quick photo fixes.

Picasa 3(I think it's up to) is helpful--it's free too....

EDIT:-hey Scott, didn't read your response 'till after I posted-----

Is there a simple post photo shoot program that can be used? I just want to do simple things, such as light compensation, resizing for web, red eye and cropping. I have a Photo Shop, but is way too cumbersome to use. I wind up using the Windows photo gallery that is already on the computer.

Thanks

I use Photoshop Elements 6.0. It is a very simple version of photoshop, but has colorcast and and good light/color balancing controls, works good for crop, resize as well.

Here is an example from a dive trip I took last summer to Palau.

Grey Reef Shark at Blue Corner, original pic (SP-350, F3.4, 1/80 sec ISO 150, ~55 ft)

P7230835-small.jpg

Grey Reef Shark at Blue Corner, processed with Photoshop Elements

P7230835B-adj-small.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:
Bruce

Nice results! I have Photoshop Elements 5.0. It is a little cumbersome to use, plus takes forever to load sometimes. I understand the layers of the Photoshop program and such, but just stopped using it. I am just a point and shoot (OLY 8000) with a housing, arm, and occassional OLY UF-1 strobe. I just try to take scrapbook type of photos of our dives. A good shoot for me is a few keepers that are in focus without the dreaded backscatter. I started using the Windows Photo Editor after I bought the Photoshop since the Windows was so much faster and eaier to use withour loading the entire Photoshop program.

I read with interest some earlier posts about red filters and such. Just wondered what I could do easily post shoot, with some type of processing tool.

MJSmith-

Mine is only an Oly point and shoot (SP-350). You should look at using color cast in Photoshop Elements, as it eliminates the need for a red filter. Will remap the colors in your photo, based on something that is black, grey, or white in your photo that you point to. Worth checking out. What I do is have two settings: Macro is flash on for every pic, autofocus continous and auto for non macro stuff. Any macro picture with the flash on, you can use auto color/contrast button on Photoshop Elements Elements and will do a great job. For the farther shots (auto), color cast followed by auto contrast work pretty good. My 0.02.

Bruce

I use Adobe's Lightroom - primarily for colour and exposure correction. It's a bit more expensive, though.
However, it's really productive from a workflow perspective, and all image adjustments are non-destructive and can be back-tracked.
I've found that for best results, shoot in RAW (which I think you can on the SP-350), then convert your shots to DNG as (or before) you import. That does need bigger memory cards, though ...
You can save common processes (e.g. export to web - and even ftp parameters) as presets, so you don't have to reinvent them.

I used to use Elements, but it ate my hard drives, as the PSD files got bigger with every extra layer.
Adobe offer a month's free trial if you download from their website.

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom