Pot luck Hotels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife was just offered a strange last minute deal to PDC Mexico. The catch is that we will not know what hotel we will be staying at until the plane lands. All that we are guaranteed is that it is All-Inclusive...Sits directly on the beach... and has a 5 or 6 apple rating. If you hear that a tourist took out half the Cancun Airport on march 16, 17, or 18. You know its me.
I will post back with the verdict.

Dectek:
If you hear that a tourist took out half the Cancun Airport on march 16, 17, or 18. You know its me.

that dont sound bad at all but you really dont know till you get there. good luck sir, i hope yall have a fun, safe trip.

LOL, hopefully we wont hear anything like that but if we do, we know not to take that same kind of offer.

steve

Don't worry! Everything will be fine!

I know it's hard not to be concerned, but you will end up in a very nice place. Tour operators do these surprise trips to fill up unused rooms. It is not that the property is bad. Apple Vacations is a well know tour op. They won't stick you in a dump. Get an Apple book (from your travel agent) and take a look at all of the 5 & 6 Apple properties that they offer in PDC. You will feel better.

Then post your trip report when you get back. Let us know how it all turned out. We like details.

sounds like a time share deal. remember what happened to adam and eve when the bit the apple. this one has 5 to 6 apples.

Club Med does something similar. You pay a discounted rate and I think basically tell them 'sun' or 'snow' sort of thing, and they send you to whichever of their resorts has space on the dates you choose. Sounds like it could be an interesting week for you. Are you planning on hopping over to Coz on the ferry?

The package has nothing to do with time share. It is strictly a hotel package deal. Apple Vacations is a tour operator. They put air/hotel/tour packages together. Timeshare actually would take business away from them. (You'd have no need to book a hotel w/ them.) You can check them out online at applevacations.com if you are unsure about them.

And before anyone asks:
No, I don't work for them, but I have used them. I'm just trying to help.

I just stopped at the dive shop to pick up a couple things and found that they are running a trip to PDC and Coz the same time we will be there. They are giving me an itinerary so I can meet up with them for some dives. Kind of Ironic... I get to go away and dive with local guys.They paid $650 more and theres' is an EP plan while we are all-inclusive. My life is looking better by the day.
Then again....I could get buddied up with the same Idiot in two different countries.

Packing tip: Glad® reusable/disposable storge containers are the perfect size for a dive mask,neoprene strap, and a small bottle of anti-fog. We learned our lesson with the soft mask pouch last vacation that rattled after we got to the hotel.

Got Back Yesterday. The Hotel was Secrets Capri. It is next to the El Mandarin just north of PDC and it opened 4 months ago. Top notch joint all the way. As a matter of fact it was TOO classy. I like a place that has a buffet and one or two forks on the table. Each place setting at this place had a whole cutlery shop.
The only really bad experience we had there was a leak in the air conditioning system in our room at 5:15 in the morning. They use Ammonia and not Freon. It was not a fun awakening. Also the shuttle into town is only for 7 people once a day.
Oh Yeah...This is a diving forum not a hotel review..... The dive shop was Blue Divers or Blue Diving. I booked a night dive, a cenote dive, a reef dive , and a snorkel trip with them. First off was the snorkel trip. Orientation : "We will swim around horseshoe reef in a line and if anyone gets tired...come to the front of the line and grab hold of this life ring." DING DING DING...What the H3LL did he just say? Did You just say we were going in Single file???
They anchored the boat and dropped us off in an area called horseshoe reef. The current immediately pulls us about 1/4 mile away from the boat. The breakers start crashing over the reef and us. Masks are being ripped of peoples faces and I hear folks choking left and right. After getting my wife and two other folks geared back up and breathing through snorkels I look up to see the guide SITTING in the life ring with his mask on his forehead motioning us to come to him. My left arm is now longer than my right arm because I was kicking my @ss off with my wife and somebodies kid in tow. We all grouped up and kicked as though our lives depended on it..... OH wait...they did. We took a little over 35 minutes to get back to the boat which remained anchored. Good news. The captain caught two fish while we were gone. After we all got back in the boat we were asked if we had fun. I chirped in with" As apposed to what? Having a broom shoved up my....." You get the picture. When the boat got back I ran up the beach to share my feeling with anyone within death star range. No one seemed concerned until I canceled all the remaining dives. At that point I was offered a refund on the snorkeling if I would reconsider. This is only My side of the story and this may have been only one bad day out of an excellent companies long event-less safety record. But "That is the way it was". Take this information as you would like. I have not heard good or bad about these folks before.I'm sure there are a lot of good stories out there too. I am also mad at myself. I should have kept myself and my wife on the boat when I saw the situation the guide was putting us in.
I talked to a couple dive shops in town and got a funny feeling in my stomach when it got top be time to book the dive. SO it turns out that I lugged all my gear a couple thousand miles and only used the mask, snorkel and fins. The deepest I got was a free dive in Yal-ku lagoon to retrieve a lost locker key. I figured I would save my diving (and myself ) for the next time.

Why did'nt you dive with the shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom