Potentially new to DPV’s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic001918

Contributor
Reaction score
I am making a return to diving after some time off. It seems DPV’s have gotten way more accessible and I’m tempted to get one.

Starting to go through some research now. The Blacktip seems to be the best “bang for the dollar.” I’d use it for recreational and maybe light tech as I work towards my tech certifications.

Obviously it goes without saying to take a class which I absolutely plan to do.

What’s the scooter basics? I see them rigged different with cord on the noses and then tow ropes. What’s the standard “setup?”

Is the blacktip really a good product? The instructor use pushes Suex, but they’re significantly more expensive and I’m not sure that’s the route I need.

So I guess what’s the cliffs notes “need to know” stuff? Figured I’d defer to the experienced here!

Thanks

Suex are good. I love my Blacktips with the Dewalt batteries. Can't beat 'em.
There is no standard way of rigging one. Some add compass mounts, GoPro mounts, lights...it all depends and you'll most likely modify however you set it up initially.
Get the tech down pat before you start screwing with a a scooter though.
Not to sound cynical, but I bet your instructor has an affiliate arrangement with Suex. Or not.

What’s the scooter basics? I see them rigged different with cord on the noses and then tow ropes. What’s the standard “setup?”

I was taught to have a leash on the nose (to be able to pull the scooter behind you or "park" it) and a front handle to be able to control the scooter during ascent/descent or when not using it. The one that comes with the Blacktip is terrible so I made my own from 2" webbing and a worm gear clamp. There's also different ways to set up the tow cord (e.g. fixed vs floating bolt snap).

Is the blacktip really a good product? The instructor use pushes Suex, but they’re significantly more expensive and I’m not sure that’s the route I need.
Is this instructor GUE by any chance? I ask because the Blacktip will not meet their class requirements (no mechanical clutch).

I took a class with a rented XK1 and I now own a Blacktip. They are very different products. I really like the Blacktip for the money and absolutely could not justify a Suex for the type of diving I do. My main issue with the Blacktip is that it lacks any kind of cut off switch, so if it fails in such a way where you can't turn it off your options are limited vs a Suex.

So I guess what’s the cliffs notes “need to know” stuff? Figured I’d defer to the experienced here!

I'm very new to scooters, but here's my two cents. Scooters are easy to use under normal conditions and many people seem to scoff at the idea of taking a class. For me the class was eye opening because it wasn't about racing around the dive site. The class was about task loading and buoyancy management while having an extra piece of gear, how to deal with failures, including runaway scooters, and how to properly tow your teammates to safety. I think the biggest thing to know is that they can and do fail, and even a "cheap" scooter like a Blacktip can take you out for literally miles where you may not be able to return safely without it. Gas and battery capacity planning are other items that will be taught to you. A good class is totally worth it in my opinion.

My training was maybe 10 minutes in a pool. Set the tether length so your arm is comfortable. Clip on the nose to park the scooter like a stage/bailout bottle when you are not cruising it. It is easy to drive right through bad buoyancy. I make it a habit to stop from time to time and deal with it. Don't go further than you are willing to swim back.

Blacktip is a really good scooter and a great match for what you describe you are looking for. Enough to be a real scooter, without the price tag. And the open battery choices, you can pick how much you want to spend on batteries. Get performance to match. I am sure your local Suex dealer will push a Suex just the same as a DiveX dealer would be pushing a Blacktip.

The blacktip really did break the market. LOTS of divers now have a scooter that is more than capable enough to do what they want. At the price of a cheap used car and not the price of a good used car.

Suex are good. I love my Blacktips with the Dewalt batteries. Can't beat 'em.
There is no standard way of rigging one. Some add compass mounts, GoPro mounts, lights...it all depends and you'll most likely modify however you set it up initially.
Get the tech down pat before you start screwing with a a scooter though.
Not to sound cynical, but I bet your instructor has an affiliate arrangement with Suex. Or not.

Your cynicism is well placed. The instructor is GUE, so an affiliate arrangement is likely. But the price of the blacktip fits more with what I’m comfortable investing in at this point (even though he offered to sell me a used Suex, it’s still more than the blacktip).

I do agree on getting tech down first. If I happened to pick up a scooter now, I’d use it solely for recreational until I had tech down before adding it to tech.

I was taught to have a leash on the nose (to be able to pull the scooter behind you or "park" it) and a front handle to be able to control the scooter during ascent/descent or when not using it. The one that comes with the Blacktip is terrible so I made my own from 2" webbing and a worm gear clamp. There's also different ways to set up the tow cord (e.g. fixed vs floating bolt snap).

Is this instructor GUE by any chance? I ask because the Blacktip will not meet their class requirements (no mechanical clutch).

I took a class with a rented XK1 and I now own a Blacktip. They are very different products. I really like the Blacktip for the money and absolutely could not justify a Suex for the type of diving I do. My main issue with the Blacktip is that it lacks any kind of cut off switch, so if it fails in such a way where you can't turn it off your options are limited vs a Suex.

I'm very new to scooters, but here's my two cents. Scooters are easy to use under normal conditions and many people seem to scoff at the idea of taking a class. For me the class was eye opening because it wasn't about racing around the dive site. The class was about task loading and buoyancy management while having an extra piece of gear, how to deal with failures, including runaway scooters, and how to properly tow your teammates to safety. I think the biggest thing to know is that they can and do fail, and even a "cheap" scooter like a Blacktip can take you out for literally miles where you may not be able to return safely without it. Gas and battery capacity planning are other items that will be taught to you. A good class is totally worth it in my opinion.

The instructor is GUE, which is probably part of the Suex push. For class, they have scooters available and I’d use what they have for the class. I struggle to justify the expense of the Suex (even used) compared to a blacktip.

I will definitely take a class. I don’t want to just get in the water and “figure it out.” I’m of the mindset more instruction won’t ever hurt and I can pick and choose how things apply to me and my diving. Not to discount every aspect of a class, but not all aspects of teaching apply to everyone.

Thanks for the thoughts as someone else who recently jumped to scooters.

For me the class was eye opening because it wasn't about racing around the dive site. The class was about task loading and buoyancy management while having an extra piece of gear, how to deal with failures, including runaway scooters, and how to properly tow your teammates to safety. I think the biggest thing to know is that they can and do fail, and even a "cheap" scooter like a Blacktip can take you out for literally miles where you may not be able to return safely without it. Gas and battery capacity planning are other items that will be taught to you. A good class is totally worth it in my opinion.
All this.

It is easy to drive right through bad buoyancy. I make it a habit to stop from time to time and deal with it. Don't go further than you are willing to swim back.
And this, too.

I couldn't get by without my Apollo

193 IMG_0236a.jpg

Chopped out the guards for some extra horses

122 IMG_0257a (1).jpg

Nice job hey

192 IMG_0269a.jpg

A quick service for more horses

191 IMG_0574a.jpg

And voilà

Magnifique!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/