Power Head vs. Bangstick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duca

Reaction score
I've read through some relevant threads and I'm curious about bangsticks and power heads.

Is a power head simply a small device meant to be attachedto a spear? vs. a bangstick that is a self-contained device?

I've seen them both for sale on a couple websites, how is it that they can be sold wihtout using a Federaly licensed Firearms dealer (in the US) ? Certainly they fall under the definitions of class I or II weapons and should be controlled by BATF, no?

I even saw one thread where the making of one of these things was described and suggested... if that was done on a firearms discussion board the BATF would start checking IP addys!

Now, all that stuff aside, are these ever used for hunting, or for defense only?

Duca,your assumptions are correct.Powerheads are legal according to BATF(as manufactured)Maybe questionable after modified.Powerheads are used to hunt in waters where not banned.They considerably reduce the chances of an injured fish escaping.They are dangerous if mis-treated,mis-used as are any weapons.The guy who shot himself in the hand last year in the Bahamas is actually a friend of mine.He was very careless in handling it underwater and paid a penalty of great pain and some lingering damage.Be aware tho that they are very controversial and could cause quite a bit of flack from fellow divers.They are not legal in Fla state waters,however in federal waters they seen to be OK.

Thanks...
This whole UW hunting things seems togenerate a lot of flack... oh well :wink:

What is the limit for State control of seas? 3 miles? 12 miles?

Spoke at length with Andre Biller this afternoon about these items. He gave me the run down on the BATFs position. Basically, it seems to come down to owning these in conjunction with diving activities is Okay... but getting caught with one in your back pocket while be-bopping around town would be a problem.

I'd still like to see something in writing from the BATF if anyone has access to their formal expressed opinion.

Basically it comes down to this ... a powerhead is classified as a firearm if it is not permanently attached to a firing pin (pole spear) that is too long to conceal. The only legal ones sold in the US (to the best of my knowledge) have a shaft welded to the side of them to give the required length. Once in the hands of the end user, that shaft can be removed so the head can be permanently mounted to the spear of choice.

I have provided both the powerheads and bang sticks to lots of people and have to explain why that shaft is sticking out of the side of the head for almost everybody. Bang sticks, however, are self contained and the head is mounted into a handle mechanism. The most popular size in the US is the 357, but for alligator and crocodile hunters the 44 if the size of choice.

The best ammo is blanks! It is the expanding gas of the exploding cartridge that does the damage so taking chances with a bullet is totally unnecessary. Also, in some states, it is the only way to legally use powerheads and bang sticks.

Just my $.02

Ray

Ray,

Do you have a website? If so, I think I have been there.... I think that I am ready to purchase a .357 powerhead if you have any available.
I bought an Biller 48 special today, signed up for UW Hunter class at the end of the month and I'm planning on going hunting in the Atlantic in Nov with a group that told me they use them regularly....

Normally I don't like to list my site on bulletin boards, but I got so many emails on this one that I will list here.

However, I encourage divers to try their local dive shop first for these power heads and bang sticks. I make more money selling to them than I do selling direct to the end users.

http://www.rayzplace.com/per_dv.htm

Thanks,

Ray

PS - Be aware of the stupid pop ups. I host with virtualave for now and I have found that the reason it is so cheap is that they add advertising!

thanks rcontrera! from stumpster! i all so have been looking for a power head or bang stick! thanks again stumpster! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom