Power inflator hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichKirby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got a new reg setup and just did my first trip with it. Didn't realize until I was on the trip that the power inflator hose I used was too long. It is a 24" hose. I have a Torus 26 wing. I also have a Dive Alert Plus inline. Do I need a 14 or 16" hose? Thanks for the helping with a stupid question.

Purely down to preference mate. At the moment my current setup has a 21" LP Inflator Hose but that is to long and I'm considering looking for a 18" or 16" depending on comfort. Mine doesn't affect my comfort but it does have the potential to create a snag hazard i suppose. Going to get a mate to take some photos of me while diving so i can get a better look.

You want the corrugated/inflator hose to lay flat against your body so as to be as stream-lined as possible........When the two hoses are the right length they should be straight and parallel, almost like one unit.......

I recently got a new reg setup and just did my first trip with it. Didn't realize until I was on the trip that the power inflator hose I used was too long. It is a 24" hose. I have a Torus 26 wing. I also have a Dive Alert Plus inline. Do I need a 14 or 16" hose? Thanks for the helping with a stupid question.

There are two hoses associated with a power inflator, the corrugated hose, and the LP hose.

Standard on a DSS singles wing is a 13 corrugated hose and a 18 inch LP hose. Because regulators offer different hose routing, and tank height varies there is no way for us to predict the "perfect" length for the LP hose.

I'd suggest you build up your rig, and measure your current LP hose to see how far it extends past the quick disconnect when it is routed as you desire and flat against your chest. You can then deduct this amount from the length of your current hose to determine what LP hose length you need.

Tobin

"Generally" and certainly in my experience an 18" LP hose works well with 12/13" corrugated hose and a 22" LP hose works well with 16" corrugated hose. But to be certain with your particular set up do as Tobin has suggested. Good luck.

Tobin- would it be possible to add a slightly longer (1-2") corrugated hose to the DSS singles wing? I'm not sure why but I have difficulty with the way mine lays over my shoulder and reaching it. Could have to do with my neck/hand weakness from my neck fracture 10 years ago, not sure. Or, perhaps its just the type of drysuit I wear?
I realize that the inflator hose would also need to be replaced to account for the difference in length.

Tobin- would it be possible to add a slightly longer (1-2") corrugated hose to the DSS singles wing? I'm not sure why but I have difficulty with the way mine lays over my shoulder and reaching it. Could have to do with my neck/hand weakness from my neck fracture 10 years ago, not sure. Or, perhaps its just the type of drysuit I wear?
I realize that the inflator hose would also need to be replaced to account for the difference in length.

Check first that your wing is properly mounted. If it is too far down your back the hose can seem a bit too short.

We do not stock 14" hoses, but most any Trident dealer should be able to order one.

Tobin

Yeah, I expected as much. I don't have ready access to a tank to set everything up and check, but I will do so when I get a chance. My original inflator hose that came with my DSS BP/W was left on my old reg setup when I sold it. Never even crossed my mind when I got a new hose that it was substantially longer. I realized pretty quickly when I set my gear up for the first dive. I was definitely not streamlined. LOL I will follow Tobin's advice for determining the proper length I need to obtain. With the Dive Alert, a 16" might work, but I will want to be sure before picking one up. Thanks all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom