PPNi and PSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPilot

Reaction score
Still very new to diving. Loving, but I still have a thousand questions.

One that I've been thinking about lately. My Fiancee and I dive at the same time, same depth, same tanks (air), but I hit 500 and she's left with 1500-1800psi. (not in actuality, but for the question)

If we were to dive according to the tables, shouldn't she get some sort of credit since she didn't breathe as much compressed air, and/or shouldn't I be penalized more? It seems like the SRC calculation should be in the tables somewhere.

If a free diver can go down to (what's the record) say 500ft and come straight up without getting bent, then why doesn't less air consumption give you some sort of credit?

Sorry in advance if a stupid question, or if answered here before. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

No. It doesn't matter how much you breathe, since the majority of the N2 is exhaled. The only things that matter are the partial pressure of nitrogen and the amount of time you were exposed to it. The vast majority of the nitrogen you inhale is exhaled. A very tiny fraction of it is absorbed, some O2 is absorbed, and some CO2 is added to what you exhale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom