Repurposing Old Dive Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sailing Infidel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, I have an old Jmar dive compressor with a 5 HP Honda motor on it, but the high pressure filters are way past their due date. The motor still runs. I'm in Mexico and I'm seeing a lot of locals using these same units as a hookah system and I would like to do the same, but I would like to drive the compressor with a 12V motor and sell the gas motor.
I'm thinking, since I won't be compressing air with it, I won't need an equivalent-to-5HP motor (3.78Kw). So what Kw and RPM should I get? The max RPM of the Honda motor is 3850 but, again, I doubt I'd have to go that high, so I'm thinking of using the motor of some sort of rechargeable power tool. Maybe a circular saw?

Any wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated. I dislike wasting money and hate dying, hahaha

How will you eliminate the oil from your breathing air without filtration that provides adequate dwell time. That is just one of the concerns but is a health issue and related to your last sentence. Sell it for parts and buy a suitable hookah compressor.
Edit. I should add I am a DIY enthusiast but some projects really don't make a lot of sense.

I am very confuse or don't understand....

Why would you take a high pressure 3000ish psi compressor for hookah?
Then try to drive it with 12v?

Fix and clean up and service the compressor. Then use or sell it.

Then buy a small 12v oiless or diaphragm compressor, it only needs to make 30 - 50 psi for hookah.

Using a High pressure compressor, you have needlessly moving extra pistons, and making everything overly complicated/heavy etc. And it robs to much power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom