Question Building a Hookah Dive Compressor System: Gas or Electric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@CodFishHead if you're going with a gas, honestly just buy a Brownies. It's not worth it to try to recreate that wheel IMO. It's one thing on the electric side where you just pick the right pump and figure out how to power it, but trying to find the right head to mount to the right motor is just not worth it. There are two of them on Craigslist now for under $2k complete with the main downlines, splitters, regulators, etc. and you aren't going to build one cheaper than that. It's the defacto system for commercial operations and we use them regularly for AAUS scientific diving operations and while the new ones are crazy expensive at $3k+, the used ones aren't so bad
Thank you for the suggestiions,

I'm an Engineer. Or I shoud say was before I retired. I already have a ton of SS quick disconnects, hoses, clamps, and so on I used in my brewery. I'm also checking out whats on the market to just buy. Funds are not an issues. Not looking to save. Looking to make the best. But mayeb I can just improve on a package with better filtration. It's cold here in FL. Going to do a Christmas plunge in a little while. Water temps 62. My NE blood is gone. I'm a whimp now. Don't like it under 80 lol

Googl it. There's tons. I just sold my brewery. Food grade anything means no leaching of toxins. Safe to use to brterath out iof unlike an air hose that most people use
I've brewed beer for nearly 20 years. 3 vessel rims.

I know what food grade hose is.

I don't know what food grade LP scuba hoses are.

I think that the people with money let other people spend all their money building something
so they only have to spend money on the something rather than the something and the build

I've brewed beer for nearly 20 years. 3 vessel rims.

I know what food grade hose is.

I don't know what food grade LP scuba hoses are.
Awesome. 40 plus for me. Getting my half bbl home brew system back up and running now. I have a keezer for 5 taps ready to pour in my out building. About to piss the wife off by having stir plates running all night and carboys all over the house lol

As for the Food Grade. It's just a term. Meaning safe from leaching. and such
example: Food Grade Floating LP Hose - 25 M

I drank from the garden hose and worked in a machine shop for most of my youth. Figure I'm loaded with enough toxins so why push my luck.

Googl it. There's tons. I just sold my brewery. Food grade anything means no leaching of toxins. Safe to use to brterath out iof unlike an air hose that most people use
From Google Bard AI

The term "food grade scuba hose" can be interpreted in two ways:

1. A scuba hose made of food-grade material:

This refers to a scuba hose that uses materials certified as safe for contact with food and beverages. These materials are typically odorless, tasteless, and non-toxic, ensuring the air you breathe underwater remains uncontaminated. Examples of food-grade materials commonly used in scuba hoses include:

• High-density polyethylene (HDPE): A durable and flexible plastic commonly used in food and beverage packaging.
  • Low-density polyethylene (LDPE): Similar to HDPE but softer and more pliable.
  • Polyvinyl chloride (PVC): A widely used material, but ensure it's specifically food-grade PVC to avoid harmful plasticizers.
  • Silicone: A premium material known for its biocompatibility and resistance to heat and chemicals.

2. A scuba hose used for food or beverage transfer:

While not technically diving equipment, some specialized hoses are used for transferring food or beverages underwater. These hoses are made of food-grade materials similar to those mentioned above and are designed to withstand the pressure and environment of underwater use. Examples include:

• Hoses for hookah diving systems: These systems allow surface-supplied air to be delivered to divers through a long hose, sometimes used in underwater restaurants or bars.
  • Hoses for underwater food and beverage dispensing: Some resorts or diving experiences may offer underwater bars or restaurants where drinks or snacks are dispensed directly into divers' mouths through food-grade hoses.

It's important to note that not all scuba hoses are food-grade. Standard scuba hoses are primarily concerned with air pressure and breath delivery, and may not be certified for food contact. If you're unsure about a specific hose, always check the manufacturer's specifications or certifications.

Making some progress. Found some parts and purchased others. Also found The Air Line company that that makes rigs is just a few town away from me. Bought the float tube cover from them 192 bucks. Could have purchased one cheaper online but I wanted to insure the engine floats well and figured they designed there’s to do just that. New engine bought online was 500. Inner tube was 35 bucks. Found someone with some parts such as the base on Craigslist. Order hoses and regs. Should have the rest of the parts and put this together in a week or so.

Have a bunch of pics but I have my iPhone 15 pro max set for good pics. To big. Any easy way to post pics here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom