Predictions from the veterans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call Gordie at Laguna Sea Sports....his shop is 1 block away...he will advise you if he can. He is a great guy....stop in.

Main Beach was 15 feet today. Rumors of a red tide in Lagua Beach. Some brownish scum on the water (very little) and some translucent particles suspended in the water which limited visibility to 15 feet.

Hey Scott, Welcome to the world of diving! Shaw's can be tricky. Not fun, if there is too much surge, meaning you can't dive the arch.

I really like Deadmans, Pinnacle, and Seal Rock at North Cresent Bay. Deadman's usually always has pretty good viz, due to it's a deeper dive...57' or better. There's always interesting stuff to be seen.

Two dives Saturday at Shaw's Cove. Open Water Dives 1 and 2. Viz was bad. Did all drills but didn't get all the way to surface on the CESA. I was still trying to catch my breath from the last exercise and didn't have enough air.

Dove off the Mr. C on Sunday at Catalina. 1st dive was at Lion's Head. This was dive number 3 of my certification dives. Viz was 15-20. Dive 2 was at Rock Quarry. Viz was 15. Finished certification. Dive 3 was near Yellowtail Point. Viz was 15-20. My first dive as a certified diver. It was great, we just tagged along with another experienced diver and we saw lots of Garibaldi, lobster, a sea bass, and a huge spider crab. I know lots of you are saying, "so what." But for me it was cool. I was a little afraid of the kelp at first but once I got the hang of it, no problem. Next week Cancun and the Riviera Maya!

Welcome aboard. 10 Feet is about normal for beach diving along our cost.

On a great day you can hit 30 feet or more, on a bad day, the inside of your mask. Some days you hit both. Yesterday at Point Dume we had did two dives. Dive one was 20-30 feet visibilty (canyon) followed by a dive of 0-10 feet (pinnacles). At one point it was a total white out and you could not see beyond your mask. But that is diving.

Now, dive often and post under the montly dive report log here and let us know how it went.

http://www.sandeaters.org
is one place to find a dive and potential dive buddy every Sunday or send out a shout fo rdives on other days.

Scott Riemer:
What will conditions be like at Shaw's Cove tommorrow? And Catalina on Sunday?

I have a VHF radio on my boat, I can tune it to weather channel #7 and hear continous weather information 24x7. You can also buy a recieve only weather radio for cheap and you can hear swell heights and periods, wind, wind wave heights, water temps, surf and so on. It loops every 15 minutes or so. Transmitter is on Catalina Island and they cover most of So Cal, beachs to the outter waters. They also predict this out to seveal days. It is targeted to boaters and surfers but should
be of use to anyone in the water.

The transmitter is operated by the National Weather Service so you get the data first hand, this is both good and bad as it may be to technical for some people. with terms like "A 1050 milibar high is centered ver Pt Conception which will generate weak offshore flow, replaced by weak onshor in the afternooon, " Or yeaterday it was taling about a 4foot so. swell and 1 ft west swell with 1 to 2 foot wind waves".
You would need to figure out yourself the worst case is a 7ft wave.
A few of those did hit my boat. It's not the typical TV news weatheran, butit's not pure numbers either.

Back
Top Bottom