Prefer MIA or FLL to go to Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
From my researches, I see that driving from FLL may take a little bit longer, but I was wondering if this was offset by other positives. I flew into MIA last time I went to the Keys (Islamorada), but picking up the rental car was a bit of a pain.

Heck I'd fly into Orlando to go to the keys before using Miami again. Fort Lauderdale is less than an hour more but much less stressful.
Only thing worse than Miami so far was San Francisco. It was close though between them as to which sucked more.

t picking up the rental car was a bit of a pain.
I would, from Terminal A you walk out and cross the street to get to the Rental Car center. The other 3 terminals are nearby also.
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport | Terminal Map Overview I'm almost positive our car was 100' away in the same structure also. It's a pretty small airport also - I've heard they handle some cruise traffic but Saturday morning (some years ago) it was a ghost town.

Google the drive, you can go west to the Florida Turnpike near FLL and then the Reagan Turnpike and bypass much of the I-95/Miami snarl. The Reagan goes as far south as Homestead AFB b4 merging into State 1 and then into Key Largo a few miles further south. Both turnpikes are toll roads.

Last edited:
In October, I'm flying into MIA and leaving from FLL. I picked the best airfare and didn't worry about which airport. The rental car rates were the SAME, even with the 'return to another location' option.

Last time I was in MIA, it reminded me of a 3rd world airport, all dingy and smelly. But, we had a long layover and had to endure. This time, smelly or not, no layover....

I second diversteve. I've flown into FLL and driven to Islamorada five times now, and I'll keep flying into FLL. Easy to get to the rental car center, and from there straight onto 595 W. Follow Florida's Turnpike and Ronald Reagan Turnpike and you'll steer well clear of all the Miami nonsense and run right into Rt. 1 S. Next thing you know you cross that bridge to Key Largo, see the crystal clear water, and you're home.

whenever I go to Miami for work I always fly into FLL and take the train down to Miami, not worth dealing with that airport imho. It's an easy drive to get down there and the extra hour drive would be worth it to me getting back to the keys. When I was working at SeaCamp I flew into and out of FLL so I could fly with Jet Blue which made it that much better

OMG, I thought it was only me. I hated flying into MIA. Much preferred FLL. I cruise a lot so have to fly into MIA a lot. It's stressful and unpleasant, to say the least. I'd rather fly into FLL any day.

I recall lots of roadwork on the freeway system in Miami and missing turns because the detours or changes weren't reflected in my GPS. FLL it is. Just got a RT DC-FLL for $150.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom