Premiere Elements v Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan B.

Contributor
Reaction score
Very newbie question. I want to branch out with my E-PL5 (cuz it's what I got) into video and Premiere Elements was suggested as good, basic, affordable software upon which to start learning editing. There seems to be comment on the web though that PE won't acknowledge Olympus' .MOV or .AVI formats. Has anyone had this difficulty, or has anyone other, perhaps better, video editing software suggestions that fit the above parameters?

I can't speak specifically to the AVI or MOV formats created by your camera. Personally, I used Premiere for years with my SD video (AVI format) so when I switched to HD video I used two earlier versions of Premiere Elements. I found Premiere Elements couldn't handle my HD footage effectively and had several other bugs that rendered it useless to me. These may have been corrected in current versions, but I switched to Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and it has handled everything I've thrown at it.

I use Corel video studio pro 7. I bought it cheap after 8.0 was released. I like it pretty well, but the down side is that I am editing on an el cheapo brand computer. Because the computer is under powered, video is very choppy during the edit but comes out fine after the final compiling of the edits.

I can't speak specifically to the AVI or MOV formats created by your camera. Personally, I used Premiere for years with my SD video (AVI format) so when I switched to HD video I used two earlier versions of Premiere Elements. I found Premiere Elements couldn't handle my HD footage effectively and had several other bugs that rendered it useless to me. These may have been corrected in current versions, but I switched to Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and it has handled everything I've thrown at it.

Vegas 14 is not handling .mov files from my 2009-ish era Convergent Nanoflash shot with a Sony EX1. So I'm having to switch to .mxf on my nano or go to Premiere which is handling pretty much everything so far. Codecs are weird and wiggly things.

Thank you, gentlemen. Do I understand, CT-Rich, that Corel video studio pro 7 did work with Olympus?

I
Thank you, gentlemen. Do I understand, CT-Rich, that Corel video studio pro 7 did work with Olympus?
i don't know how the Olympus compresses video. For pretty much any file you can get a format converter. You can also just google to see if any formats have conversion issues. As I recall, GoPro videos had to be run through a file converter to be editable.

I'm pretty sure you can download a 30 day trial of Premier Elements to try. Give it a shot before you buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom