Prescription glass vs contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started off diving with contacts without problems unless water would get inside the mask. -5 both eyes. Had LASEK - best decision ever!

Started off diving with contacts without problems unless water would get inside the mask. -5 both eyes. Had LASEK - best decision ever!
And this is one of the next things I'm planning to do...

No halos or anything?

And this is one of the next things I'm planning to do...

No halos or anything?

No halos or problems with night vision. I did have problems with dry red eyes my first winter but I was warned it could be a problem during the battery of pre-surgery eye tests. It has gotten progressively better since. I found a surgeon with a lot of surgeries under his belt using quite impressive laser technology. Glad I did it and wish I did it sooner.

Same discussion circling around SB for a while. I just got contacts and really like them. The biggest issue in comparison is the fact that you can see on a boat without your mask on. That is most important as your eyesight becomes worse.

I prefer prescription glass over contacts.

I played water polo and swam competitively with contacts and white water kayaked and scube dove with contacts. However after 3 years of hard kayaking a friend ran a rapid with her eyes open yelling I CAN SEE....I had to follow her example and have LASIK. I was a better kayaker going through rapids with my eyes shut (you had no idea the sh*t you were dropping into). But you are asking about contacts....I dove with contacts for about 7 years. Whenever my eyes got wet (swimming, kayaking, diving) then my contacts would be glued to my eyes for an hour or so. So I could squint my eyes open while diving if I had to take my mask off for skills. Now I have LASIK and same thing..I squint, only because it sucks opening my eyes underwater.

My husband OTOH...he only got contacts about 2 years ago (diving for 4 years). He has flatter eyes (if that makes sense) that his contacts occasionally pop out for no reason (strong squeeze eye shut, open them and a contact comes flying). He loves diving with his (only had 2 total pop out, at surface only and he just put them back in, no other issues). Prior to contacts he just dove and didn't see a lot (not super blind, but needed them enough to drive).
Hope this helps.
yikes.jpg

Same discussion circling around SB for a while. I just got contacts and really like them. The biggest issue in comparison is the fact that you can see on a boat without your mask on. That is most important as your eyesight becomes worse.

I agree. I considered a mask with prescription glass but wanted to try contact lenses first. After giving it a try and not having any problems (even when clearing my mask or taking it off/replacing it), I decided to just use the contacts. Also, if you lose your mask and don't have a backup with prescription glass, you may end up in some trouble (contacts don't necessarily fall out just because you open your eyes underwater, and there are a few tricks that can be used to keep them in if you must open your eyes).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom