Prescription Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to pick the vast knowlege base of ScubaBoard to find out what is the best mask to use for prescription lenses. I wear bifocals and need a little help these days reading my gauges. I have used and lost two sets of those silly a$$ed Diveoptix and am tired of throwing good money away on those things. I guess I'm to vain to clip a magnifying glass to my BC.

Can they make prescription lenses for any mask or are there specific ones that work better. I know Ocianic makes lenses for "minus" prescriptions (near sighted) but I contacted them and they don't do anythig for the "plus" perscriptions.

Simplified, my prescription is +2.00 (+1.50 for bifocal). I really only need gauge readers because even though my main perscription is +2.00, my distance vision underwater seems to be okay. (although admittedly, I am lake diving and the vis is considered good if it's better than 5 or 6 feet.)

I've seen a couple of websites that tout prescription lenses for masks but I was wondering if anybody has some sage words of advice for me.

Give these folks a call. Welcome to Prescription Dive Mask
I have 2 masks (one old presc and one new) from them and have been very happy with their service. I know of several others here on this board and locally who have used them. My mask are custom done with bifocals set higher in the lens for camera work. You can purchase a mask from them or send them yours. I recommend sending them a new mask that you have purchased and tested for fit.

Prescription Dive MasksI use someone here in ny, rxdivemask.com who claims to have invented them. I've had very good results on 3 different masks as well. I met hermans people at beneath the sea and seem like a good bunch as well. These are all lenses ground for you and bonded to the mask lense in your mask.Your right some masks are available with replaceable lenses most with - diopters. A couple of companys make + diopters and you have to search for them. Scuba toy's has a couple on their site. The most sage advice though is to pick a mask and dive the heck out of it before sending it in for modifying. Too many people have this done to find out that the mask really dosen't suit them until it is too late and already had the work done!

Check to see of your LDS uses Scuba Optics. Fanatastic service and quality. They can either do pop in lenses or like mine ones bonded to the inside of your existing faceplate. The lds gives them a call, tells them mask is coming, what the script is, and usual turn around is 10 days or so from the day it leaves your shop.

Give these folks a call. Welcome to Prescription Dive Mask
I have 2 masks (one old presc and one new) from them and have been very happy with their service. I know of several others here on this board and locally who have used them. My mask are custom done with bifocals set higher in the lens for camera work. You can purchase a mask from them or send them yours. I recommend sending them a new mask that you have purchased and tested for fit.

Ditto - great people and fast, quality service.

Steve: You might want to consider Aqua Dive Optx flexible mask magnifiers.....you can find them shown as an accessory on the masks described in Leisure Pro site. The way I found them was looking at the Atomic Frameless mask on Leisure pro site and then clicking on accessories....they come in 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2, etc,ect +.........I haven't used them yet so I can't give you a report but I have just ordered them and look forward to trying them out to see how they work.....it's definitely an alternative to the $150-200 for prescription lenses.

Several companies do offer leses in + diopters for a few of their masks. Typically it'll be just a flat lens with the + lenses glued in down low for reading purposes. This could be a cheap fix if you can comfortably wear an off the shelf mask that has these available. H20 Odessey has a cheap mask that is basically a Tusa Liberator with lenses available in +1,+2,+3 and +4. I think you are looking a 35 buck mask and then 28-35 bucks a lens on top of that. I suspect other companies have similar options, although you may need to do a fair amount of shopping to find a mask that fits and also has the + diopters. If you can't find 'em, the other options mentioned earlier work well.

Another vote for Prescription Dive Mask. Great people, fast, quality service. I sent them a Cressi-sub Matrix mask.. The best mask is one that fits.

Script overlays are the way to go for anything but the simplest prescriptions. Deal direct with prescriptiondivemasks.com or your LDS can send it to them or a similar provider.

If you have a favorite mask then just get a fresh one and have the overlays added.

If you happen to have one of those pre-tax medical payment accounts a prescription dive mask is an allowable claim! Dive gear with pre-tax dollars, does it get any better?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom