Prevent Montezuma's revenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
May 17, 2005 — Rifaximin prophylaxis may be indicated for traveler's diarrhea, according to the results of a randomized trial published in the May 17 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. The editorialist suggests that prophylaxis may be suitable for a select group of travelers but that most should treat acutely when symptoms start.

"Travelers' diarrhea causes substantial morbidity and postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome," write Herbert L. DuPont, MD, from the University of Texas in Houston, and colleagues. "Rifaximin has been shown to be safe and effective for treatment of travelers' diarrhea in Mexico, Jamaica, Guatemala, and Kenya."

My comment: this antibiotic can be used to treat MR after symptoms start or as a preventative. Even small doses (one pill/day) are effective for prophylaxis. Other uses include Chrohns Disease and Irritable Bowel syndrome. Your physician or pharmacist may be more familiar with the brand Xifaxin--I think that is correct spelling.

pescador775:
May 17, 2005-My comment: this antibiotic can be used to treat MR after symptoms start or as a preventative.

What "MR" does this antibiotic treat?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Montezuma's Revenge, LOL.
This form of diarrhea has ruined more dive trips than weather and jellyfish combined. These are the kind of solutions that divers need and I am here to be proactive in that regard, but not often. I'll leave the hypochondriacs, those that conclude that their own illnesses are diving related simply because they have a C card, to others. Seriously, this board would drive me nuts. Good luck.

I really hate seeing new antibiotics recommended for old diseases for which we have pretty adequate treatment already, but I did some research, and this one at least is not expensive.

You can use Pepto Bismol to treat mild cases of traveller's diarrhea, but it requires fairly substantial doses. Usually either trimethoprim sulfa or ciprofloxacin are recommended and prescribed, but the drug pescador is describing is similar in cost to cipro.

It is definitely a potential issue when doing dive trips to less developed areas of the world, and it is not unreasonable to request something from your doctor before such a trip to treat the condition, should it arise. Even better than treatment is prevention, though. Avoid drinking local water, and don't eat produce unless it has been peeled or cooked, or unless you are assured that it is washed in purified water (as we were at both resorts in Indonesia).

I am a remote paramedic working in Iraq. I see many patients with traveller's diarrhea. Definatly prevention is the biggest issue here. But, IMHO, a combination of Cipro and Loperimide works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom