Previous Smoking and Lung Exposure History and Current Fitness to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard!

I have a question regarding medical fitness for diving, your perspective is very much appreciated:

I have smoked tobacco cigarettes from age 16 to 24, with a 2 year break during the period and a few periods lasting a few weeks to months without any smoking :(. On average, I smoked less than 10 cigarettes per day, by my best estimate :depressed:. Also during this time period, I lived in a locale with at least moderate levels of air pollution, and currently reside in an urban area.

Since the end of 2010 to the present, I had not smoked a tobacco cigarette.

During the time period when I smoked tobacco cigarettes, I have also smoked (considered smokable) non-tobacco substances, but very irregularly, with several short (less than 1 week) periods of intense use.

Presently at age 26, I subjectively feel and roughly estimate to be at least slightly above average in overall physical fitness, and maintain a semi-regular aerobic workout, usually involving running a time period of up to 45 minutes, and weight training.

However, I smoked a non-tobacco substance very recently, several hours prior to this posting.

A recent (within the past 6 months) test at the doctor's (spirometer, for my lung capacity as I remember), found no abnormality with my lung function.

My question is, with my amount of exposure (smoking, tobacco and non-tobacco, and environmental) to possible damage and carcinogens with my lungs, should I take extra measures (testing, more frequent check-ups) to monitor possible malignancies in my cardiovascular system? Would this really impact making regular dives? Should I alter my exercise and fitness choices in response to the risks I undertook? :)

The last time I looked at the data, once you have about 12 years of being a non-smoker, your long-term malignancy risk goes back to population average.

If you are currently asymptomatic and have had normal spirometry, I'd relax.

I have smoked all kinds of stuff and did so very heavily for over 30 years. I was still a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker all the way until my rebreather training. I finally quit July 4 2007.

Anything that you smoke is a hazard to your health and is a poison to your body. Nobody can tell you when or if you will get cancer, but is it really worth pushing the odds?

My smoking and the other chemical contaminents never did anything that I could notice to affect my diving. This is just my personal take and is in no way any kind of medical advice to you.

Lobbolt,

Long-term smoking can result in bullae, or cysts, in the lungs. At your age and with your smoking history this would be unlikely, but if you're concerned about it you might consider getting a complete physical with a chest xray.

"Non-tobacco substances" is pretty non-specific, but be mindful that ANY smoking is bad for you, whether it's cloves, hash, marijuana, or Bufo toads. Non-tobacco substances are just as damaging as tobacco if not more so.

Best regards,
DDM

If you are currently asymptomatic and have had normal spirometry, I'd relax.

That may be more difficult that you'd think
35ej5v.jpg

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom