prices of diving in Dahab, Egypt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watersprite

Reaction score
Next October I'm going to dive in Dahab in Egypt!! I'm very excited about that, it's been a while since my last dive!

I'm going on a budget though... and still have to see how long I can go.
Can anyone tell me how much diving costs there approximately?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Generally it shouldn't be more than 120- 150 US$ for 10 dives (2 dives per day). Air and weights included.
Mania

mania:
Generally it shouldn't be more than 120- 150 US$ for 10 dives (2 dives per day). Air and weights included.
Mania
That's quite a bit less-expensive than the German-run operation we've been using at Makadi Bay, south of Hurghada... there, it's 15 Euro for a shore dive (air and weights included)... 25 Euro for a short boat dive... and 50 Euro for a two-dive boat trip. Quantity discounts are available; like 20 boat dives over 10 days are 400 Euro total.

So it really depends on where and with whom you're diving. I don't think there's quite as much competition at Makadi Bay as in Dahab.

--Marek

mania:
Marek - it's always cheaper when you are buying a package like 5 days rather than paying for separate dives.
Yeah... the place we go to offers 10 dives (5 days) for 220 Euro... about a 10% discount. Or 20% discount for the 20 dives/10 days. Nice thing is, they'll give you any applicable discount when you're checking out -- you don't have to book discounts in advance.

Still seems expensive, though, compared to Dahab...

And we've already discussed the "new" 10% sales tax... :11:

--Marek

mania:
Hey Mania--

I checked out Planet Divers' web site, and their prices don't look like they're less than ours at Makadi. It's a bit hard to compare, because of the different types of diving... but theirs actually look a bit more expensive... they want 60 EUR for a two-dive boat trip, while we pay 50 EUR... though we don't get a free lunch at Makadi.

And equipment rental is more expensive in Dahab, too...

But I'll bet the diving is better! :wink:

--Marek

Marek but if you check more carefuly - 5 days - 10 dives package is 140 euro which is a lot less than 220 euro you paid Germans
:D
You don't buy anything less that 5 day package in Egypt - otherwise it's too expensive.
Mania

mania:
Marek but if you check more carefuly - 5 days - 10 dives package is 140 euro which is a lot less than 220 euro you paid Germans
Ah, Mania kochanie :D ... but I did check carefully... 5 days/10 dives/140 EUR at Planet Divers is for guided shore dives... I assume that means on their house reef? Or maybe not... do they drive you out somewhere along the shore for that price? If so, then the prices aren't that different.

The prices I was quoting at Makadi are for boat dives. A lot of the single-tank sites are within 15-20 minutes by slow boat, and the two-dive day trips are much farther along the coast.

Like I said, the listings for the two operations don't list the same kind of dives... they're quite different places, with different kinds of diving. I was looking for dives that looked the most-similar to compare.

Shore dives on the house reef at Makadi are 15 EUR for the first one each day, and 12 EUR for subsequent dives the same day... but un-guided. Guides are an extra 5 EUR per dive, and are required for my son (less that 20 logged dives) on boat dives... What I'm not sure is, when I'm his buddy, do they charge me another 5 EUR?

--Marek

90% of Dahab dives are shore ones. Dahab is a completly different place from Makadi Bay and it's most beautiful reefs (including The Canion and the Bells) are shore ones.
Mania

Back
Top Bottom