Pricing used gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there,

I'm looking at getting an Octo and a BCD but how do you price used gear or know what's fair? The gear I'm looking at is from 2004 and is a Mares Vector Origin BCD, Mares MR12 Proton (main), Mares Axis Pro (Octo.), and a Cressi Sub mini 3-gauge console (tank pressure, depth gauge, oil-filled compass).

He's asking $350, thoughts?

Beauty (and 'fairness') are in the eye of the beholder. Personally, a rough rule of thumb is get pricing on the new 2010 versions of these items from the most competitive online sellers (ie Scubatoys/Leisure Pro to name a couple of the most commonly mentioned ones, not to say there aren't other good ones out there too.) Then check for 3 criteria:

1) is the gear in very good/great condition ?

2) if 'yes' to #1, is the selling price no more than 1/2 the price you found for the 2010 new versions?

3) can you get acceptable local gear servicing/support in your area for 'your' brands.

Just a few thoughts.

I happen to have a 2004 Leisurepro catalog. At the time the NIB cost was around $550 for the gear described. You have to figure a minimum $100 to get the regs serviced. Best I could offer would be $175 (1/2 of $550 less $100 for servicing the regs).

I am less generous than Scubafanatic. I always deduct the cost of servicing the gear from the purchase price.

To be fair to your seller, he probably didn't buy the gear from LP and the $350 asking price is likely to be less than 50% of what he paid for it in "04.

Hey there,

I'm looking at getting an Octo and a BCD but how do you price used gear or know what's fair? The gear I'm looking at is from 2004 and is a Mares Vector Origin BCD, Mares MR12 Proton (main), Mares Axis Pro (Octo.), and a Cressi Sub mini 3-gauge console (tank pressure, depth gauge, oil-filled compass).

He's asking $350, thoughts?

A little too high.

I'm quite familiar with all of the gear (own and have serviced most of it), except for the Axis octo (which was the model that was replaced by the Mares Rebel I think).

The gear itself is decent. The MR-12 is a very good, dependable, good performing "workhorse" 1st stage that has been around for a long time; the Proton is a good 2nd stage. The Axis would be fine as an octo, and the Vector Origin BC is a good no-frills BC (my kids use them).

As already noted, you'll probably need to get the regs serviced. Parts are still available (the MR-12 is still in production), so no problem.

Check the prices on Leisurepro, Scubatoys for comparable regs and BC's, and then a bit < 1/2 price is about right if the used gear is in "like-new" condition.

I might go as high as $200-225, but that's about it. And only if everything was in great shape.

Best wishes.

It can be very difficult to figure out what ABC regulator and XYZ BCD is worth. Rather than trying to figure out if that particular set of gear is worth $350, why don't you look around and see what $350 can buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom