Printer for printing u/w pictures for resale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meldiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I live in The Bahamas and do not have the luxury of shopping. I need a printer that I can print my underwater pictures so I can sell to our customers. I also need a printer that I can use as a fax machine and a copier/scanner. I hear that Epson printers are the best. I need some advice so I can decide which one to buy because once I buy it and have it shipped here and pay upwards of 50% duty I will be stuck with it and will not be able to send it back. I can't afford to make a mistake in buying a printer on this level.

In general, IMHO there are no combo printers that are suitable for making prints that you can sell. A lot depends on what size prints you want to sell. If you will go no larger than 8x10 prints then the Epson R280 is the minimum level I would go. A lot depends on what quality you want to sell and how long you want them to last. The Epson 280 costs only $80 and is OK. The better choice is probably the 1400 which is about $200 now. The advantage of the Epsons is that getting the correct color match so your pics look like your monitor is a bit easier than with the equivalent Canon printers. A lot depends too on where you can get ink cartridges and paper.

If we knew a bit more about exactly (what size etc) you want we can make a better recommendation. I have both Epson and Canon printers and use them for different things, but if I were selling prints, I think the Epson is a bit nicer.
Bill

I want to pirnt 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 pictures. I will get my paper and cartridges in the states.
I don't mind spending the money for a good printer. I need a printer more than fax and copier.
Thank you for any advice.
Melinda

Will you be using photoshop or some other program for generating the prints that you want to sell. The reason that it makes a difference is that some software does not allow for easy calibration of the printers. For the simplest approach, use paper from the same guys that make the printer. The least expensive printer that allows for ICC calibration from Epson is the 1400 now selling for $219 directly from Epson. If you are using Photoshop it is very simple to get really nice output from it. The equivalent Canon printer is the Pixma IP4600 and it is about the same price.
It is important that the printer has individual ink tanks since a printer that has all the colors in one cartridge will make you crazy printing UW pictures, when the blue ink is empty you need to throw away the cartridge even though there is lots of ink left for the other colors.

Bill

I do not use Photoshop. If my picutres aren't perfect I don't keep them. I usually print out of Picasa which is where I store my pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom