Pristine Reefs of Southern Mindanao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least a couple of posters have not checked the geography of Mindanao and are confusing Basilan (Sulu Archipeligo) with places hundreds of miles away seperated by the ocean.

I do understand that geography is not everybodys strongpoint, but this is especially unforgivable if you are based in the PI's :shakehead:.

Mass market touristic places like Boracay generally attract a particular kind of 'party' tourist where diving is only a minor component of their vacation. That's fine:) I understand that Mindanao will not really suit most of these people.

As far as 'bombs' are concerned/reported, much of what is reported here is not accurate and exaggerated. The so called 'bomb' in General Santos was a large firework thrown on New Years Eve that 'blasted' some gravel from the ground into a crowd.

As I have said, there are always people who will travel to more developed places for diving and this is OK. There are many great areas and resorts across the Philippines.

Then again, there are some who want something a bit different and travel to places like Mindanao, PNG and other more adventurous places for the 'low numbers' and adventure diving that you can find in these places.

The areas where we dive are very safe and better than most places we have dived (though we acknowledge to have only scratched the surface in three years in the PI's). After all, we would be really stupid to go to places where there is trouble - don't you think?:confused:

It is up to people what they want from their vacation and diving, but at least get the geography right please!!!!:wink:

It would be best to take into account the locations of the various incidents that have occurred in the Philippines over the years to keep things in perspective. Mindanao is not the only place to have had problems. This does not mean traveling to the Philippines is unsafe, same as taking a dive trip to Gensan/Davao is not reason to worry about safety.

Manila has had its share of problems, including the 2004 ferry incident, which happened not far from Manila Bay. Anybody thinking of taking a ferry trip around that time would have right to be concerned, but I'm not sure how that directly relates to safety in Southern Mindanao. Getting kidnapped is simply not something I worry about while diving Davao and Gensan, I have no reason to think it could happen there any more than somewhere like Cebu or Boracay.

The repeated misconceptions about that area are made by individuals who have not been there. Of course it is not likely they will go there to see for themselves since they are worried about safety, that's understandable. If I had heard nothing but negative news before my first trip to Gensan, I would have avoided it as well.

Luckily, I read a positive trip report here on Scubaboard and after talking with a dive operator in the area and decided visit. It was great, and soon I was spending time in Davao as well.

If enough people who have experienced the places discussed here can give an honest opinion, it can help people who are considering a dive trip. It is nice to have both sides of the story before coming to conclusions. My personal experience allows me to honestly recommend it as worthy of visiting.

I have been going down and diving the 'southern reefs' for 3 summers in a row now, and I hope to go back this season. I think just the name Mindanao scares some away, and it is a big place, there is a military aspect at times, but I never felt scared or threatend, it actually added some excitement to the trip as opposed to diving in Boracay, where I had to worry about the hangovers.
To sum it up, the diving is great down there, remote and adventerous, good people good times and 'great tuna':D

Maybe the news reports should stop using words like "Basilan in Southern Philippines - NEAR Mindanao..." The Abu Sayyaf Group kidnapping and the bombing of the malls put Philippines in the spot-light for the wrong reasons... Family & friends would always say things like "Philippines is not safe, why do u wanna dive there?!" & I will go on to remind them abt the escaped Singaporean "criminal"...

I have had a tank rental booking for a joint BFAR and US project to study local sea creatures in order to find out if they have evolved or changed at all from similar creatures in the rest of the country! The Philippino contingent arrived today but the US side of the project did not come because of security issues!
This is another kick in the nuts for the area!
I was on Basilan Island a few years ago training the then Governor Ackbar as an open water diver, this guy was later Congressman Ackbar who was actually blown up and killed outside the House of Representatives a couple of years ago! Basilan was not Dangerous for him, Manila was!

There was a travel documentry on in the UK last night, the BBC as well, and they didn't help things by refering to "The war torn Muslim regions of the south"

I only watched it in the background but I also thought that at one point the reporter sat on Bohol, looked south and said something like "It's a different story over there". Again not sure only half watching as I was packing for my Philippine Trip......

Mat.

@ Beachbum 32
am sitting here wondering why I should even take a risk to Mindanao. Risk getting snatched off the streets or you wake up at 3am to find some dudes standing over you in your hotel room? All for a pristine reef to dive at? The last trip (years ago) I was scheduled to take there, they blew up the ferry.

I understand from your posts where you are coming from here.

The places we dive/live are not like some places in Iraq, Pakistan, Afganistan, London, New York, Washington, Istanbul, Manila, etc, etc. - you look for trouble and you can find this anywhere in any place/city.

Much of the bad PR associated with Mindanao come from ignorant media who thinks that Basilan Island is part of this island - IT IS NOT!

We are European and have many European and American friiends here. People have lived here for up to 30 years without any problems.

Point is that this area has some of the best diving/unspoiled places and people because many people - like you - have avoided this place. Hence, it has not been messed around with too much.

Also, the proximity to Indonesia, deep water, lack of destructive weather and low population has preserved many places. It is hard to find this anywhere.

We sincerely hope that you recover from your Iraq experiences and travel here to enjoy the people and diving.

WWD

Thanks WWD..... Reading the boards here make me want to check out the place. Like Neon was saying, the news throws around words like it is a constant war zone. I live in the war zones that the media loves to over hype. It's 85% b.s.

(Also, after spending a year in Boracay, I forgot what it was like in the (real) Philippines until I go to Manila for a weekend.)

It's ok WWD, we'll keep the reefs of Southern Mindanao to ourselves...the rest are being over run with too many divers anyway.....

Oh my! The diver in pics was dwarfed by the awesome coral cover! WOW! I'm teary-eyed now sa sobrang galak. I shall include this to my wish list together with Coron. Ang ganda talaga ng Pilipinas!!!

Happy to hear the Governor and the community are working together to protect and promote these national treasures. You are the real superheroes in my book. Mabuhay kayong lahat!!! :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom