Private DM - Anyone hired one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove with BlueXTsea and hired a private divemaster for my son since he is younger and has depth restrictions, so we had two DMs on the boat. My son and the other DM did their own thing above us. I think their boats only hold 6-8 divers and we never had more than 6 on a dive. I never felt crowded and they took great care of us. Looking forward to going back in the spring and will probably hire a private DM again if I am able to.

On our first trip to Coz we hired a private DM from Blue XTsea since my wife hadn't been in the water in a while and had never done a drift dive before so she was a little apprehensive about the currents. Ended it up also doing it for the next day just because it was such an enjoyable experience just having the two of us with a DM. But the other days there were usually just 4 on the boat, max of 6 so no issues like happen with crowds on a larger boat.

I really like small groups and can appreciate even having the private guided experience of your own DM. We went to Dominica in June and did 11 dives with a small op (Nature Island Dive). Of the 11 dives 5 had only my wife and I and the other 6 had only two other divers, it was great. One day we went out with the big op (Dive Dominica) who run a really good operation but there were 11 divers (all very experienced) and 2 DM's in the group, so even though the staff and operation were good, and the other divers experienced, the overall dive experience wasn't nearly as fun. But I also like talking to other divers on the boat so for me the ideal probably wouldn't be a private boat, but maybe a small boat and my own DM for the diving. But even at only $50 a trip for private DM it adds up to $300 for a week and I'd rather use that money to add a night and dive day, as long as the group was 6 or less.

Great Info. Thanks Everyone!

Back
Top Bottom