Pro/con Suunto Eon Steel & Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both. I have dived with suunto computers for many years (mosquito, D6) and have been a fan. I bought an eon steel and moved to Mauritius at roughly the same time. I am a CMAS 3 star diver and found a number of other 3 star divers in Mauritius. CMAS is one of the last agencies which permits deep air diving (60 metres for 3 star divers). We have been diving to that depth. I find for, that style of diving, the suunto is dangerous. It penalises you hugely for the depth and requires unrealistically long hang times. If you ignore those, it sulks and locks you out for 48 hours.

I now now use either the petrel 2 or an Aladin 2g when I dive in Mauritius and the eon steel with Ai (which I love) when diving in other locations at 'recreational' depths.

I used both D9 and Helo2 on tech and rec dives. They are good computers but have drawbacks depending on the type of diving you do and the Eon is no different.3min in any given dive (rec or tec) is "nothing" in the bigger picture, but still Sunnto will lock you out. This is what makes it potentially dangerous to the "uninformed" diver. This is the only message I think some of the members want to illustrate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom