pro plus 2 battery swap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catskill diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for some feedback on battery replacement on our pp2 units. Units have 30+ dives over two years and we are going away for 12-14 dives this month and again in June. Wondering the following ?
How long in months or years are people getting out of their batteries before swapping
How much notice did you get that they were dying or going dead
Has anyone swapped out just the battery without the o-ring kit.

Thinking I would bring some batteries and swap out on location if needed or should I just do it before going.

I check my battery life indicator, if above 50% I don't worry about it. When it gets lower I change the battery and the oring. Not changing the oring is just asking for a failure at a most inopportune time. These new batteries last a long time, three to four years I think you are probably okay.

Three years and 110 dives on my wifes, battery still shows 100%.

excellent news ! Didnt want to mess with them if I didnt have to.
hearing 100+ dives w/o a change makes me feel better. I doubt there are any computer / battery parts in Saba for anything. thank you both for the input.

I think oceanic says something like 300Hrs or 3years 200 hundred Dives something like that. i had mine almost 2 years and 60 Dives and still show's Full battery. I would not replace it untill battery drops to 50%. These newer batteries really work quite well and these units don't use much energy.

shady,

You know one of them well! they all show full battery at the moment just didnt want to get to remote location and find one had gone dead.

thanks all. will file a SABA report in 21 days

If you do change the batteries, be careful removing/reinstalling the 4 tiny screws used to seal the battery compartment, for some reason, they are composed of a pretty soft metal and it's easy to strip the screw heads, which would be bad! Also, while you can save some $ just buying the battery and 'recycling' the screws/O-ring (instead of buying the little complete Oceanic battery replacement kit which has battery/screws/O-ring) I'd suggest you only recycle the original screws/O-ring no more than 2-3 times, even if you want to take that much of a chance......some people feel spending $ 15-$20 on an OEM battery kit is worth it to reduce the chance of flooding a $ 700 + computer. And 'yes' the batteries seem to last a pretty long time, but I include a Oceanic battery kit in my save-a-dive kit just in case.

You could always buy a Set Battery/O ring and take it along with you just incase should one for some reason die. They are user replaceable I have never done it so can't say if its difficult or not. I believe the sets are about 20.00

You could always buy a Set Battery/O ring and take it along with you just incase should one for some reason die. They are user replaceable I have never done it so can't say if its difficult or not. I believe the sets are about 20.00

I think Scubafanatic already just mentioned that...just sayin'.... :)

I had four of the Pro Plus models for almost 10 years. During that time probably replaced the batteries two or three times. My wife, son, daughter-in-law and I literally had hundreds of dives on these units.

Last year they all started eating batteries. Got to point that a battery would only last a few days. Took two in and Oceanic had some type of upgrade special to the PP2. Found out the PP had been discontinued. Got two at less than dealer cost with this special. Then took the other two a few months later and although the Oceanic special had ended still got an excellent deal.

Changing the battery is pretty straight forward. Remove the screws and gently work the back off. Have the new battery ready, pop the old one out and get the new one in around 30 seconds or less and all info is maintained something like that. Be sure and watch the polarity.

A eyeglass size phillips screwdriver is what you need. I have a good Craftsman set with nice handles. Gives you plenty of torque. Tighten gently in a cross pattern so the cover does not bind. Just snug.

By sure and check the o-ring, wash gently and use a tiny bit of silicone if you don't have a new o-ring.

I bought replacement batteries at Radio Shack and think they were in the $15 to $20 range. Not cheap but they do last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom