Problem With Aperture Nex 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Nex 7 with a Nauticam setup. A little ways back I noticed an issue when I push the shutter button half way down the aperture will stop up. The problem is more pronounced with certain lenses (16mm f2.8, 18-200) stopping up almost 2 stops. The issue isn't as bad on my 10-18, and of course, there is no issue with lenses that do not attach electronically, such as my Rokinon fisheye. When the aperture is wide open there is no issue because the aperture has no where to go at that point. Also, in shutter priority when I release the shutter button the aperture flutters. In both cases you can hear the aperture moving and see the effect on screen in both the EVF and back display. It does affect the picture as well. Note: I have the focus decoupled from the the shutter button. I went through the issue with Sony, and they believe it to be a hardware problem. SO... I have a choice to send it in which is, at least, $306+ shipping, or maybe buy another used body. I really don't want to spend the money on another set up, but the question is should I consider it? A new a6000 or 6300 with a new housing and keep my ports and lenses would be expensive but maybe doable. Although, I am not convinced these are better cameras. Moving to a FF with an A7ii or such would be nice, but way out there considering I have no glass and I couldn't use any of ports. I like this system, and it has treated me well thus far. I have a trip to Costa Rica coming up in late May so I have to make a decision relatively quickly. Any thoughts would be very helpful. TIA.

After running some numbers I have decided to just send in my Nex 7 for repair. If figure it will be about $3k with camera and housing for a an a6000 or a6300, and about $10k for a an A7xx set up. So, I will get one or two new top side lenses and call it a day. Well see if Sony will come out with an APS-C that is the bomb before moving up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom