Problem with green footage!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinkflipper

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Scubaboarders,

I am having difficulty getting my underwater footage to not look green.
I use a Sony HDR/HC3 camera with a Sea and Sea VX-S1 housing.
I use the red and have tried a pink filter and the camera is supposed to have automatic white balancing, but everything under ten meters looks green.

Does anyone out there know of a setting that I might need to change on the camera itself that would fix this problem. have read through the user manual, but it is not geared towards using the camera within a housing.

I do not have the option to do manaul white balance as the housing is electronic and has no manual settings.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeellllllppppppppppp PLEASE !!!!

Hi Scubaboarders,

I am having difficulty getting my underwater footage to not look green.
I use a Sony HDR/HC3 camera with a Sea and Sea VX-S1 housing.
I use the red and have tried a pink filter and the camera is supposed to have automatic white balancing, but everything under ten meters looks green.

Does anyone out there know of a setting that I might need to change on the camera itself that would fix this problem. have read through the user manual, but it is not geared towards using the camera within a housing.

I do not have the option to do manaul white balance as the housing is electronic and has no manual settings.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeellllllppppppppppp PLEASE !!!!

Yup, that is what you will usually get. You need to do a manual white balance at depth.. need something white to do that with...

I have the same issue with my Sony, I have a Sony HC9 with Ikelite housing that allows manual white ballance. I do not know much about the manual white balance. When you do the Manual white balance do you leave the red filter on? Or if you Manual white balance you do NOT use the red filter

Thanks

Not sure how far you can adjust the white balance...but if you could, it would be so you don't need the red filter. Would try it and see what you get... you can always add it and do another white balance.

I have had the same result with the HC-7 and have not been pleased with it except when I'm shooting close and the lighting is very even. My housing won't do MWB though.

This is why I sold all my small cameras and only kept the FX7. I had the HC1, HC7 and the HC3. HC1 had the best results. The problem is missing light. The HC7 was a mess, very disappointing in murky waters. Does your housing have electronic controls? I had a housing where I changed the board to one with manual white balance (Neue Internetpr?enz). Then WB was possible. For a manually controlled housing you can sell it or dive in clear waters on sunny days.

Not sure where your diving, but by the sounds of it, you maybe using the wrong filter. If you have green water you should be using a green water filter, which is not the orange or pink one. You might want to try using the purple shaded green water filter. We need to know where your diving, if its really blue water or green water.

Also, some of that greenish look can be fixed in post production. What editing software are you using?

With no white balance, you may want to leave on auto, or experiment with the other settings. I am not familiar with the WB setting on the camera you have. But look into a green water filter.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom