Problem with INON s2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jctreesh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purcased the INON s2000. Took it diving for the first time yesterday. Everything was working perfectly using sTTL, until halfway throught the dive, the strobe would not fire. No flooding, the strobe was clearly on (red light on), but would not fire.
I shooting with a Canon G10 with canon housing, and the INON optical cable and clear photo system. Brand new energizer Lithium batteries in the strobe. I inspected everything when I got home. No evidence of flooding. I rinsed and dried my system then reattached the optical cable, still the strobe will not fire. It turns on, but wont fire. Any ideas?

Did you switch camera exposure modes?

Will the strobe fire on the surface without the cable?

I did not switch exposure modes. Camera was set on Program mode with flash set to 'on'. I'll try to fire the strobe without the cable when I get home. It's just perplexing since everything is brand new (the strobe and optical cable). Nothing had come loose, either.

So, I figured out the problem. The strobe flooded :depressed:. On further inspection, the cause was the bolt on the ULCS stobe adapter, being too long; it cracked the strobe. I did a search and found an article that INON put out a coupleyears back, describing this problem with the z240, I guess the problem wasn't corrected for the s2000. An expensive way to learn that lesson. I bought the strobe from a Japanese dealer. They are going to send it in to see if it can be fixed.
So, for all of you with INON strobes, be very careful when attaching the strobe adapter to make sure the bolt does not come in contact with the strobe casing.

Was the adapter one that is made by Inon or did you get one of the generic ones. I know that the spacing behind the nut is smaller on the s2000 than the z240 by about a mm and if you use the adapter for the z240 you might get in trouble.
Bill

This is the adapter I ordered: ULCS AD-IN Adapter for Inon Z-series, D-series and S-series Strobes. There was no spacer/washer on it I noticed (after the fact). I don't know if there is supposed to be or not. Maybe I was sent the wrong one. B/C I bought a new adapter and new strobe at the local (Japanese) dive shop and it had the washer in it with a shorter screw (no chance of over tightening).

Yeah, that would do it. I would say that design feature of Inon strobe design could be "adjusted". But, I use the Inon adapter. I do not torque it down tight, I just snug it. You are not supposed to use any force here, they recommend the small end of the allen key wrench to help prevent over tightening. I feel your pain, hope you can get it fixed or come to some good resolution for you.

N

I'm not sure about other strobes but on the S2000 you should be able to see the threaded bolt and how near it is to the strobe body. I always keep an eye on that gap when tightening.

Yes, I looked at it and indeed you can see light between the bolt and the body. It seems like it would take a lot of extra tightening to squeeze the body. I'll be extra aware now of the potential for overtightening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom