Problem with Light Cannon and NiMh batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing research on the light canon before purchase. I found this thread very informative but have some questions.

I am in the Philippines and do not know what type of batteries are sold here. I know we only have alkaline for AA and AAA. Anything bigger is just our normal Eveready Brand. We have it in Red Blue and Black. Black being "super heavy duty".

Anybody know what type of batteries these are? If not, what would be the best guess?

Also, the whole thread is kind of a blur now. Which one have you guys had more problems with? Nicad or NiMH?

Thanks

OOPS. Just remembered the thread title. I guess most problems are with NiMH.

partridge:
I'm doing research on the light canon before purchase. I found this thread very informative but have some questions.

I am in the Philippines and do not know what type of batteries are sold here. I know we only have alkaline for AA and AAA. Anything bigger is just our normal Eveready Brand. We have it in Red Blue and Black. Black being "super heavy duty".

Anybody know what type of batteries these are? If not, what would be the best guess?
Knowing the Philippines, those red-black batteries are standard carbon-zinc, and very likely non-alkaline.

Also, the whole thread is kind of a blur now. Which one have you guys had more problems with? Nicad or NiMH?
Thanks
OOPS. Just remembered the thread title. I guess most problems are with NiMH.
Nicads are equally or more expensive, and are worse that NiMH. Given the availability of NiMH it would be a better choice any day over Nicads.

So my best bet would be to look for rechargeable NiMH batteries?

What do I have to look for? There was mention of 2200 versus 2400 something. I forget the units.

So sorry but I'm not into all this technical stuff.

Thanks in advance.

partridge:
So my best bet would be to look for rechargeable NiMH batteries?

What do I have to look for? There was mention of 2200 versus 2400 something. I forget the units.

So sorry but I'm not into all this technical stuff.

Thanks in advance.
HI P, Yes.
The 2200 is likely the mAH, the larger the number the better, and represents the storage capacity of the batteries. 2200-2400 is typically what you can find for $5 each. The upper end is 5000mAH for C cell NIMH at $10 each.

My brother recent traveled to the Philippines and found NiMH cells AA as low as $0.25 each, and about half didn't work [made in China weird looking brands]. Nevertheless, they cost about $2 each in the US, so its likely you may find some very low cost versions there, and if you get half working, you've already saved $$.

You still need a charger too. As you can see, the cost of the batteries plus charger will run $50-100.

http://thomasdistributing.com/aabatteries.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom