problem with westuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i own a cressi wet suit and its becoming quite loose. visibly loose in the arms. i aslo noticed that the chest area is getting loose as well. i fixed the chest area by using a 2 mill vest inside problem solved. i dit notice that since my arm cuffs are loose, cold water circulates through them thus cooling the water inside. i dont wear gloves so i dont know if this has contributed. only logged 53 dives with this suit.

Whilst I can't answer specifically to your question Spoon.
Haven't had that experience with my wetsuit (about 27 dives in it), althought it has become noticeably easier to put on.

I think the elasticity in your wetsuit has started to go, from the normal wear and tear of all those dives. The arm cuffs being loose as you noted is probably what's contributing to the flooding/ water entering your wetsuit.

I really don't think that there's any solution to this problem short of buying another wetsuit.
Time to go shopping :) .

BTW what's up with the 'cold water' statement.
I thought that the water in your area was pretty warm, or are you just a warm water wussie like me :14:?

Jamdiver:
BTW what's up with the 'cold water' statement.
I thought that the water in your area was pretty warm, or are you just a warm water wussie like me :14:?

water here is around 85f to 87 summer average but i notice that after repeated dives i tend to get cold. also we are nearing the cold season wherein watertemps would drop to around the 70'si will try wearing gloves to cover up the cuffs if all else fails. and yes im a cold water wuss:)

I have a XCEL wetsuit that I have over 150 dives on and the elasticity is still fine on mine. Maybe it is a defect from Cressi. I think my wetsuit is actually shrinking because it keeps feeling tighter and tighter (not gaining weight am I?).LOL. I rinse my wetsuit with my gear after diving (we use simple green).

Melissa

ch0ppersrule:
I have a XCEL wetsuit that I have over 150 dives on and the elasticity is still fine on mine. Maybe it is a defect from Cressi. I think my wetsuit is actually shrinking because it keeps feeling tighter and tighter (not gaining weight am I?).LOL. I rinse my wetsuit with my gear after diving (we use simple green).

Melissa

i have lost some weight but not enough to get that loose. could it be that i stretch it when removing my suit?

Jamdiver:
Oh it just occured to me, you could layer maybe .5mill or 1 mil suit under the Cressi suit to give you a better fit and keep you a little warmer..

actually ever since i donned my vest i have felt a little warmer.

Spoon:
i have lost some weight but not enough to get that loose. could it be that i stretch it when removing my suit?

Even if it is stretched a little, it shouldn't stay baggy or loose. Maybe with the weight loss and toning (I am assuming) the wet suit will be somewhat loose. It really shouldn't be very different unless you have significant weight loss. I pull mine off anyway I can. I never thought about overstretching it by taking it off. Congrats on the weight loss -- you didn't really lose it because I found it and you can have it back.

Spoon:

Spoon,

What thickness is that suit? If that is a 3 mil or thicker, it should not get baggy (as others have pointed out, it may become a bit looser, but not that much). If it was a 1 mil or 0.5 mil suit, I could imagine it would, but hearing that you are a self-proclaimed WWW, I can't believe you'd dive a suit that thin.

Either you've lost more weight than you think (which case I am jealous of your achievement :05: ), or there's something wrong with the suit. I'd take it back to the shop and confront them with it.

Are you rensing your wetsuit in Hot water? That will kill your wetsuit. Here are some wetsuit care tips from one of my flyers.

Wetsuit care tips
Taking good care of your wetsuit will make your wetsuit last longer. Regular care will extend the life of your wetsuit and save you money. Take good care of your wetsuit and it will keep you warm and in the water longer all year. Here are some wetsuit care tips.

Heat-the enemy of wetsuit fabric
The wetsuit material will break down if you rinse your wetsuit in hot water. Always use cold or warm water. Don’t leave your wetsuit in the sun! The UV rays will deteriorate the wetsuit fabric really fast. Dry your wetsuit in the shade if possible. Don’t leave your wetsuit in your car or trunk of your car for an extended time on a hot day. Soft-boiled wetsuit? Not good.

Dry your wetsuit inside out first
Don’t leave your wetsuit wet and dirty. Rinse it with fresh water and hang it to dry. Don’t use a shoulder hanger. Dry your wetsuit inside out first. You should always, carefully peel your wetsuit off inside- out anyway. Once the inside is dry, turn the wetsuit right side out to finish drying. Store your wetsuit on the SlideHanger™ to reduce fabric stress.

Sand, dirt, grease & grime
Sand and dirt will abrade the wetsuit fabric. Always try to take your wetsuit off while standing on a towel, changing pad, or other clean surface. And of course, always rinse your wetsuit with fresh water.

Don’t Wash your wetsuit in the washing machine etc.
Don’t wash your wetsuit in the washing machine! Or, dry it in the dryer! Or, use bleach, clothes washing detergent, stain remover, fabric softener, olive oil, jet fuel etc. And, don’t iron your wetsuit either! I didn’t really have to say that right? Use soap made especially for washing your wetsuit or a mild, liquid soap like baby shampoo. Wash your wetsuit by hand!
Always use fresh water.

Does your wetsuit smell?
Most of the time, rinsing your wetsuit with fresh water and thoroughly drying it will keep your wetsuit fresh and odor free. But if your wetsuit gets smelly, wash your wetsuit in a tub of fresh, warm water (not hot). Use one of the special wetsuit soaps or a small amount of baby shampoo. Gently wash it by hand. Rinse your wetsuit thoroughly to get all the detergent off, and then dry your wetsuit on a SlideHanger™ in the fresh air.

wetsuit hanger, Hang your wetsuit from the waist, the slidehanger wetsuit hanger was developed to eliminate shoulder wear. Wetsuit, Surf gift, links to surf shops, wetsuit care products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom