Problem with Zip Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I was in FL a few weeks ago cave diving, my left sleeve kept getting wet. I was thinking it was from flexing my wrists while pulling & gliding causing water to leak through the seal, so didn't think much about it. Well I was at the local quarry this past weekend using the dry gloves. When I came out, I was soaking wet (not fun in 50 degree water). That night, I inflated the suit & used soapy water on the sleeve & found that the sleeve was leaking all around where the soft Zip Seal ring was sewn in, especially where a small triangle of material was sewn in when the rings were added. I wound up being able to temporarily stop the leaking using copious amounts of aqua seal, as I will need the suit this weekend & next week. After this next trip to FL, I will be sending the suit back in to have this problem looked at6 & also to try to determine why the booties are wearing out the way they are. This suit is just over 2yrs old with maybe 200 dives on it & the retrofit for the zip rings was just done in Sept. Why it just started leaking like it was, I'm not sure.

The leaks could have been caused by improperly mixed adhesive / sealant. If the hardening compound / plasticizers were mixed in the wrong ratio the material may not have bonded properly allowing for the normal stresses of diving to damage the seal.

The bootie wear is probably caused by your feet. You may have a "pressure point" on your foot in the area where the wear is taking place. I would think a thick pair of socks or some adhesive padding would reduce the wear.

Hi Tammy,

I am sorry to hear of the leak in your drysuit. We certainly want to work with you to remedy the situation.

At your earliest convenience, please send your suit in to

DUI
Attn: Repairs
1148 Delevan Drive
San Diego, CA 92102

Please include a statement about where you resealed the suit or you can just enclose a copy of this conversation.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions or concerns prior to sending in your suit.

Thank you,

Jessica
DUI
jessica@dui-online.com
800-325-8439 ext 318

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom