Problems with Apeks WTX 4 wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuNanoTube

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a WTX system (harness, back plate, weight pockets, wing) used, and ended up with a horseshoe WTX 4 wing with 45 pounds of lift. I have dove with it 4 times with my standard AL 80 and have noticed the same problems on every dive. I am hoping for some suggestions on how (or if) I can solve these problems without buying a single tank wing.
1. "Taco-ing" - The wing likes to wrap around the tank, I have heard using shock cord or surgical tubing helps, as well as clipping the wing to the plate. I would do this but the wing has no place to clip onto, and I have no idea how much shock cord to order.

2. The dump valve. I have found I have had to break trim to vent in the vertical position using corrugated hose. The dump valve located on the right side does not like to work when I pull it. This as far as I can tell is due to the air being distributed through the barely inflated wing / being trapped on the left side.

3. Getting the air to the right side of the wing to dump. This seems to be a skills thing. I have yet to figure out how to get the air to the right side to dump, tips would be appreciated. All my planned dives for the next 2 weeks are training dives for the specific purpose of getting used to my new kit, so suggesting a drill or two would be helpful.

4. The handle of the dump. I dive in cold water with a wet suit. As of such I wear three finger mitts. I am having trouble grabbing the relatively small handle on the dump in these mitts. Would it be a problem if I were to increase the size of the handle? (I am an open water diver so snagging is not a real concern)

Thanks in advance for any tips given.

A little off topic, How far down should my shoulder D-Rings sit? They are at my clavicle right now and they feel a little high. If this is a preference thing tell me.

Back
Top Bottom