prolonged dizziness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltybubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
we just returned from a week long trip to roatan honduras where we did at least three boat dives per day.:D Seas were rough with 5 to 7 foot waves. :(

several of us had some mild sea sickness with nausea which abated once we hit the water or rested off the boat.

deepest dive we did was 85 feet. Most dives were approx 50 to 60 minutes. last dive was friday am. we flew home saturday late afternoon.

Since our return, have been having persistant episodic bouts of dizziness. No nausea, ear pain, excessive fatigue other than what I would expect from a terrific diving vacation. No vertigo, headache, jaw pain. No neurologic symptoms.

My wife and at least one of our fellow diving friends also complained of feeling like still on a boat, but theirs is better now.

3 years ago I had my inner ear rebuilt but have clearance to dive from the surgeon who is also a diver. Last week long dive trip was sept 08 in Cozumel, with calmer seas, with no experience like this.

Was wondering if anyone had an experience like this and looking for direction or advice.

Hey saltybubbles,

Categorize this in the "For what it's worth department."

I don't know the name of the condition, but it is not uncommon for people cruising on smaller vessels or cruising for longer periods on larger vessels and experiencing moderate to heavy sea conditions, to experience a rolling or spinning feeling when they finally set foot on dry land. It seems to be made worse in confined spaces.

My wife and I both experienced the condition following a Windjammer cruise many years ago. It took 2-4 days for it to resolve. We would notice the feeling most when we were in a small room like a toilet... we had to hold onto the seat so to speak.

I suspect that the brain is compensating to and getting used to the rolling stimuli sent from the inner ears. You kind of get used to the periodicity of a rolling boat and when you return to dry land, this period disappears but the brain keeps on compensating. Perhaps it has something to do with developing "sea legs"

Thank you for this. We will keep an eye on it. Or an ear as it were.

Back
Top Bottom