Prolonged Headache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finster

Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering whether somebody has some suggestions for my problem.

I did a 55 minute dive at a max.depth of 37 ft. this past weekend in S. Calif. I had 3 beers the night before and had some nasal congestion for the previous few days. Prior to my dive, I had some congestion as well. I don't recall having to equalize much during the dive, if at all. Following the dive I started to develop a bad headache which seemed to be concentrated above my left eye. I had difficulty sleeping that night and the headache has now persisted for 3 days.

The headache now seems to be centered more towards the back of my head now. It feels the same as if you were to hold your nose while trying to blow hard. I am 37 and in excellent health but I am concerned about this problem. Hope this recedes soon! Tylenol, Dristan, and Aleve haven't helped.

Thanks.

Yikes, you went diving with congestion?

i'd say that you now probably have a sinus problem and should
see a Doctor ASAP.

I have gotten those headaches and I find that so long as I eat and drink between dives I don't get them. I now make sure to do that and haven't had that problem yet.

P.S. I had that problem for my first 10-12 dives and none in the last 15-20 or so.

Hope that helps

Finster,

Considering that you did dive with head congestion, I would definitely get to a doctor to rule out sinus infection or some sort of more serious damage.

I get the type of headache you have described when I become dehydrated. It doesn't matter whether diving is involved or not, if I am not drinking enough, on comes the headache. I have had them last a couple of days while trying to get caught up on the fluid intake.

This is just my personal experience and should be take as such. Get yourself to a doctor ASAP.

A classic case of unilateral sinus barotrauma IMPO.

In the vast majority of cases it is entirely self limiting;- The air could get in through the foramina and could not get out or it took a while on the bottom for the gas to get into the blocked sinuses from their membrane linings and on surfacing it could not get out. Ouch!

Having caused trauma to your sinus membranes no wonder you got a headache!

By all means see the doc if it persists and be a good girl in future and refrain from diving with any form of congestion. The middle air is not the only air cavity in the body.

Been there, done that, got the video and the T shirt!

kind regards,

Paul

I haven't had any nasal congestion in a few days so I am not sure that the congestion was the cause of the problem. I do know that I ended up with more air in my tank than my buddy (1000 psi vs 550 psi). Perhaps I am unknowingly taking short breaths and not properly venting CO2. The CO2 headache would explain why aspirin hasn't helped. But, why has this damn thing lasted so long?

I also have had some rapid ear popping on occasion (like the popping of ears on ascent only several small ones in succession). It hasn't happened today but it did yesterday. Don't know if this is of any concern. If I have my headache tomorrow, I will see a Dr.

Thanks for all advice! I'll let you know what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom