Proper mounting of HID on waistbelt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Sartec 10w HID can light. Sartec doen't ship their HIDs with a method of attaching them to your waistbelt. I imagine they assume that you are going to mount their lights to your BP or perhaps your tanks. Anyway, I've rigged a piece of webbing between two hose clamps so it will mount on my waistbelt, but what is the proper webbing configuation? I've looked in Dress for Success, searched here, and looked at the Halcyon website, but I haven't found a detailed picture of the webbing "beltloop" on the can light or instuctions on how to make it. Is it just a sewn circular loop of webbing held by the hose clamps? Does anyone sell just the "beltloop"? I suppose one answer is to buy an HID that comes setup properly in the first place, but I'm trying to work with what I got.

Something like this should work ...

sdirlightsaver.jpg

It's just folded over and hose-clamped into place.

Green_Manelishi:
Something like this should work ...

sdirlightsaver.jpg

It's just folded over and hose-clamped into place.
That looks like what I have been doing. However unlikely, it seems like there is a chance that setup could pull free. Any other options or places to order something a little more sturdy?

Thanks Bob!

Option "1" requires only one hose clamp and fold in the webbing; it can also be used with fairly stiff webbing. Option "2" requires two clamps and those I've seen use rather less robust webbing. Whatever works for you, works. :D

Green_Manelishi:
Option "1" requires only one hose clamp and fold in the webbing; it can also be used with fairly stiff webbing. Option "2" requires two clamps and those I've seen use rather less robust webbing. Whatever works for you, works. :D
The first canister light I ever bought (circa 1995, from AUL) had a webbing loop that was rigged like "Option 1". I didn't care for it, because it seemed like the light had a tendency to wobble a bit when worn. After a while I tightened it up by reducing the amount of webbing, and then added a second clamp through the very top of the (now smaller) loop to secure it in two places. That has worked pretty well.

I have also seen webbing attached to a light canister using this method:

wreck_argon_t.jpeg

A larger image of this can be found here.

I personally think that two clamps is the way to go, but you should try it for yourself and see.

Once you decide how you want to attach the webbing, have someone look at it in the water to ensure that the canister is sitting level. You may need to adjust the webbing loop up or down to get it exactly right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom