Protected Flies in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, what's up with this?

I just came across this article http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060510/D8HGROQG2.html which states that there are 12 species of rare flies, in Hawaii, that are now protected under the Endangered Species Act.

When I visit Hawaii, how will I know when/where to use the flyswatter?

If I do use the swatter, will I be required to inspect the victim to ascertain if he, indeed, is on the list?

If I am unable to determine if the fly is on the list (these incidents can sometimes be quite messy), will I be required to ship the remains to the nearest crime lab for DNA testing?

If I do swat the little bugger, inspect the remains and determine he is on the list, will I be required to notify Fish and Wildlife?

Will I be required to fill out a Use of Force Report, documenting:
-how the victim came to my attention (fly-by, landing on my person, swimming in my soup, etc.)
-why I felt the victim was a direct threat to me or a third party
-what level of force was used (hand, swatter, machete, baseball bat, etc.)
-how hard the use of foce was (light tap, standard swat, force 9 blow)
-how many times was the force administered
-injuries sustained by the victim (cuts, bruising, mashed beyond recognition, etc.)
-first aid/lifesaving measures administered to victim after the incident (band-aid, splint, CPR, etc.)

Kim:
:rofl2:

What's next....mosquitos? :D

And those cockroaches, too!

hey now, don't be making fun of our state.....we have a very delicate ecosystem.

catherine96821:
hey now, don't be making fun of our state.....we have a very delicate ecosystem.
And the flies do what exactly?

edit: Never mind...I found it....mating displays!

maybe part of the food chain for something? I have no idea. If you go the Northwest hawaiian Island you have to wear bubble suits. We even have little brush thingys here to wipe your boots BEFORE a hike. (on the trails)

catherine96821:

Catherine, I am not making fun of your state. You forget, I'm from Oregon, land of the spotted owl!

Here's the hogwash:

"...may help scientists find new ways to combat diseases such as bird flu and even cancer..."

Here's the truth:

"...which includes protections for the environments in which the flies live..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom